• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Signature madness (1 Viewer)

Take a look at the signature on this bound in page:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1st-Edition-Sig...025705742QQcategoryZ29223QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Now take a look at this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1st-Limited-Edi...025753502QQcategoryZ29223QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The second sample came from an archive of signature pages that Martin had Bukowski sign early in their relationship to be used at a later date. Nice and clear, see? The first sample was, obviously, signed toward the end of his career.

What does this all mean? Ummm, actually, it doesn't mean shit. So sorry to have disturbed you.

Guess it just depends what you want from a signature...

I have a citylights book with a signature on the title page that I am pleased to have. Maybe oneday, I'll have another, perhaps signed-as-issued, who knows.

The value isn't the thing for me. Its the connection. Obviously, as I didn't personally hand the book to Bukowski and receive it back signed, I could never be 100%, but I believe that its genuine, and that he did hold this book in his hand and write his name on it. And to me, thats just magic.

The BSP signed editions: well, yes they may well have the extra authenticity, but what do they mean? Bukowski received a box of pages in the mail and had to sign a few hundred over the course of a few nights, drinking beer and cursing his good fortune? Maybe...

Now, who wants to part with that signed 1st of Post Office? ;)

nymark said:
...an archive of signature pages...
That reminds me of an article I read some years ago about a controversy surrounding some Salvador Dali works on paper. Apparently his wife and/or family had Dali sign hundreds of sheets of blank artist's paper and created "signed" artworks after his death. In art circles it was considered fraud.

Granted, a signed book is quite different from a signed artwork. But the whole signature-in-a-book adding so much value is honestly a little puzzling to me, considering the way its done (signing sheets of paper that are later bound into books). Especially in the case of someone like Bukowski, where there are literally thousands of signed copies of his books.

I can see the signature adding significantly to the value if the author didn't sign very often, but - to me - the "signature tax" on Bukowski's books is way too high, considering that his signature is actually kind of common.

I said as much to Michael Montfort once, and he just laughed at me, so I realize it's not a widely held opinion. ;)

Just got a signed edition of SEPTUAGENARIAN STEW from my girlfriend. Signature looks much like first example. Has quick doodle artwork with it. I guess she really loves me. Now what do I do?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back