• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Silkscreens for Sale (1 Viewer)

bospress.net

www.bospress.net
Hi,
I bid on these two screens by Bukowski knowing that I had not hit the reserve. I will probably not go any higher as I thin that these are probably not worth much more than as a curiosity.

What I find funny is that the seller wants $100 a piece in shipping (and I soppose handling...) You would think that this would include hand delivery, but it does not. Just regular mailing at about $10 and $90 in handling fees.

Before someone says that this may be a ttypo, I contacted the seller and he said that the $100 shipping is correct on one. If I get the second one, it would only be another $50.

What a deal!!!!

Anyhoo. Here are the listings. They certainly are unique, but maybe not worth the asking price?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEBI:IT&viewitem=&item=120137284907&rd=1&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEBI:IT&viewitem=&item=120137293047&rd=1&rd=1

Also, is it just me or were these printed by Earle Grey and not Graham Macintosh? I thought hat by this time, Graham had Capra and was not printing for Black Sparrow. Even if he desiogned these, it still wold have been the printer that used these and not the designer, so these may have been scrap that Graham was able to get from the printer....

Bill

interesting....i asked him if they were available for hand pickup to waive that crazy s&h cost...we'll see what he has to say

thanks for the heads up

He seems like a nice enough guy and a damn talented artist, but the S&H charges are excessive. You are right. It would almost be cheaper for me to fly from Delaware to SF, get a cab to his location and fly back than to pay for him to mail both of them....

bill

These look like metal offset plates to me, not screens, though I could be wrong. I don't believe that the covers of these books were screen printed either. The cost and the time and the work involved would have been prohibitive for books issued in such large quantities.

They are indeed metal offset plates. I used to burn (make) 20 of those a day. I still have nightmares about them. It is downright bizarre to see one framed.

I sent the seller a message last night but he hasn't responded yet.

--

$100 shipping? $150 for both in one shipment?! Holy shit, that's easily the most insane thing I've ever seen in my 9 years on eBay. You could roll them both into a mailing tube and send them for $7. Of course then you wouldn't get the $20 frame...oh well. Ha.

WOW. $1000 a piece for these, plus $150 to mail them. I must say that it seems that he overpaid substantially for these. I'm not sure that they are worth mch. The $1000 was his reserve, so it was not the case of two people wanting it badly. It was the case of one guy wanting it enough to bid until the reserve was met. I would have paid him about $150 each, so I guess that he really made out selling these printer's scraps.

Bill

But , of course, he has enjoyedhaving them. I wonder how much enjoyment he may have really sucked out the silk. Didn't a Buk net tax account already explain why they put outragious prices on things? -remember I am spelling challenged.;)

That's ridiculous. Personally, I wouldn't have paid $20 for the both of them... even if shipping was included. Metal plates are ugly, and there's nothing unique about them. These could be the from the thirtieth set of plates made for the book for all anyone knows, and they're only for a single color. Hopefully the buyer will discover this forum and realize his mistake. He could always return the plates since they were misrepresented as screens.

Didn't a Buk net tax account already explain why they put outragious prices on things?

GKHL,
I am a former tax accountant. Also, my theory only explains why a bookseller would list the books that they "sell" at outrageous prices, in the hopes of not selling them. This guy clearly wanted to sell them, thought that they were worth a hell of a lot more than they are and found a sucker to buy them. The buyer will think that they are unique and worth at least what he paid for them. If he ever tries to sell them, he will have to find someone that also believes this. That will be tough.

This brings up a good point. chronic mentioned that these could be from a later printing. Frankly, they could be from Ecco or they could even have been made dlast week from a scan. I know that there are ways to scan and remove only one color to make a silkscreen. Any value that these two "screens" could have would be in a provinance showing that they came directly from Graham Maciontosh and that they were unique and were used to print the first edition. Otherwise, anyone could, for a little bit of money make these and sell them at any time. Luckily there aree not that many prople that woudl shell out this kind of money for scrap.
Bill

p.s. If the buyer shows up on this forum, I do apologize for calling you a sucker. I only hope that you found something that we all missed and that it is us that are wrong. I hate to see anyone get nailed.

Frankly, they could be from Ecco or they could even have been made dlast week from a scan. I know that there are ways to scan and remove only one color to make a silkscreen. Any value that these two "screens" could have would be in a provinance showing that they came directly from Graham Maciontosh and that they were unique and were used to print the first edition.
The plates were definitely used, you can tell by the crease along the top and bottom edge. They wrap around a cylinder and there are clamps at the top and bottom to hold them tight.

I've eeked 100,000 impressions out of a metal plate like that, but there's no way to tell if they are the first and only. No way. Only the printer could verify that. If the total press run of the books was less than 50,000 or so, they could be the first and only, but again, no way to tell.

And these are definitely metal offset plates, they've got nothing to do with silkscreening. They are made from a large negative that is taped to a light-tight paper...hard to describe (and boring, I'm sure). But the negative is what's typically kept, and the plates are used until they don't hold a clean edge anymore, then thrown into the trash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back