Smart kids read Bukowski (1 Viewer)

Last June, there was an article in a Dutch newspaper about a young man who had by far the best high school exam results in the whole of the Netherlands. Straight A's for all languages, sciences etc.
He's going to Oxford, England now to do two or three studies at the same time.
Brilliant kid, and what struck me in the interview is he also prefers his bars to have at least 30 different kinds of beer.
And also, on the photograph, in front of him is a Dutch translation of Post Office.
So I guess this guy will make it, although I wonder why he needed a Dutch translation for Post Office...:)

SmartKid.jpg PO.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And the dumb kids read him because they see the smart kids reading him. Same with Kerouac, Palahniuk, etc. If the dumb kid has money, he collects Bukowski although he doesn't understand why the books cost so much.

that's nice. thanks.

[...] although I wonder why he needed a Dutch translation for Post Office...

I don't think he "NEEDED" the translation. It simply is the usual thing you find in your bookstore: plenty of books in the language of the place where the bookstore is located. So, that's what you see - and get.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think of my the most interesting things about Bukowski is that he really can appeal to lots of different groups of people... scholars, working schlubs, everyone in between... his work has a broad appeal, but at times seems very... exclusive. But moreso towards the non-scholarly among us...

He never wrote for the intelligentcia (and often raged against it), but is becoming more and more anthologized and discussed in classroom settings too... Strange dichotomies... I need sleep...

[...] He never wrote for the intelligentcia (and often raged against it), but is becoming more and more anthologized and discussed in classroom settings too...

maybe the reason, he raged against it, wasn't a dislike of education itself, but the way it came through in schools, universities, etc.

so having Him in the classrooms more and more might be in his interest. Even though he becomes less 'underground' and 'anti-' that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back