Some notes on Bo (1 Viewer)

I also saw Bo Diddley a couple times and made a post about him earlier today. What can you really say about him that hasn't already been said? Iggy is spot on in that piece. A great quote from George Thorogood in an AP article:

"[Chuck Berry's] 'Maybellene' is a country song sped up," Thorogood told Rolling Stone in 2005. " 'Johnny B. Goode' is blues sped up. But you listen to 'Bo Diddley,' and you say, 'What in the Jesus is that?' "

Great quote!!
Imagine if he could have trademarked that beat?
Here's a great thread idea all the songs with that contain that Diddley beat.
I think that includes most of George's catalogue!-well at least the good stuff

Iggy starts his Rolling Stone article with a great point; "People listen to Bo Diddley recordings and think, "Oh, you can just go bonk-de-bonk-bonk, de-bonk-bonk, and you got a Bo Diddley beat." But it isn't that easy."

Which is funny, because I've been reading tons of Lester Bangs articles lately and he said the same thing about the Stooges. Basically that everyone ridiculed them for being untalented and simplistic, but no one could recreate their sound.

reminds me of a certain poet.

From a good Kurt Loder Rolling Stone interview:

"Bo Diddley" went Top Five on the R&B charts and got you onto Ed Sullivan's TV show "” where I gather Sullivan wanted you to sing "Sixteen Tons," a big Tennessee Ernie Ford hit that you were performing onstage at the time, and you refused.

Ed Sullivan did everything in his power to shut Bo Diddley down, because he claimed that I double-crossed him on that song. What happened was, they had my name written on a piece of paper; my name is Bo Diddley, and I had a song called "Bo Diddley." He heard me singin' "Sixteen Tons" and wanted me to sing it on the show. So I thought I was supposed to do two tunes. I went out there and sang "Bo Diddley" first "” that's what I was there for, y'understand? "” and he got mad. He says to me, "You're the first colored boy ever double-crossed me on a song," or a show, or somethin' like this. And I started to hit the dude, because I was a young hoodlum out of Chicago, and I thought "colored boy" was an insult. My manager at the time grabbed me and said, "That's Mr.Sullivan." I said, "Who is that?" I didn't know who the hell he was, man. Shoot.

When I did the Ed Sullivan show, they gave me a check for 750 bucks. CBS cat say, "You gotta sign it, but you gotta give me the check back. This is a formality." I says, "Uh... Formality "” who's that?" He says, "We get you on the show, but you gotta kick the check back." I said, "What kind of crap is this?" I done signed my name to that sucker, you understand? Who was gonna pay taxes on that? But all right, I gave him the check back. Then a few years later I picked up a book and read where they paid Elvis Presley, for his first appearances on Ed Sullivan, $50,000 "” and I got sick.

That told me what was happenin' "” what rock & roll really was, and rhythm & blues. Rhythm & blues was for me "” "ripoff & bullshit." It was to keep me from gettin' my hands on any money, and anybody else that looked like Bo Diddley "” meanin' black cats. Elvis himself didn't have anything to do with this "” he was only takin' whatever he could get comin' up. But, see, the people that was dealin' in this was much older. And they'd say, "We're gonna take him to the back, but we're going to take him to the front," you understand? We were dealin' with this type of thing. So rock & roll was for the Caucasians, and R&B was for the black cats. And I was black, so I got hung up in the R&B, which.... the money wasn't the same. If you're R&B, you don't make the big money. If you're rock & roll, you make all the money, or your price is a lot different, one way or another. It was basically all the same music, but if you could get a white boy to record it, certain stations would play it. "We'd break it if you get a white boy to do it" "” some radio-station people told record companies this.

Last edited:
From a good Kurt Loder Rolling Stone interview:

When I did the Ed Sullivan show, they gave me a check for 750 bucks. CBS cat say, "You gotta sign it, but you gotta give me the check back."

Then a few years later I picked up a book and read where they paid Elvis Presley, for his first appearances on Ed Sullivan, $50,000 "” and I got sick.

Whatever happened to Bo Diddley's money . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
He didn't have any money. Read that interview. He lived in a mobile home and said he didn't have $5000 to hire a lawyer to investigate his royalty payments.

The reason most of these guys are broke is because they sold their publishing rights. It shouldn't even be legal to buy the rights to someone else's creative property!

Listening to CBC radio last night Rompin' Ronnie Hawkins was interviewed about Bo's passing. Ronnie, being the rude dude he always has been, prefaced one story he was about to tell about Bo as being quite salacious but the interviewer said go ahead. The story was stopped quite early on with a tongue (I bet) in cheek (oh yeah) explanation about taste and standards, etc., Ronnie's voice coming back on with hysterical laughter.

Later on, by coincidence, Burton Cummings and Randy Bachman were on the tube telling their "best story ever" which was, I think, about being at the Seattle Pop Festival in 1969 and Randy seeing Tina Turner nude. Burton wasn't all that impressed so Randy added "and then I saw Bo Diddley nude". Burton was impressed.

Apparently the thing about big hands is true.
bp

Dirty Boulevard

He didn't have any money.

I know that, dude. It's a song lyric. . .

The reason most of these guys are broke is because they sold their publishing rights. It shouldn't even be legal to buy the rights to someone else's creative property!

Yes. Slavery is a crime. It sucks rotten eggs.
And so is racism.

The way Bo was treated vs Presley says a lot. Today we have homeless, poor, and an assortment
of indigenous people. What's the Lou Reed line?

Give me your hungry, your tired your poor Ill piss on em . . .

Thats what the statue of bigotry says

Your poor huddled masses, lets club em to death

And get it over with and just dump em on the boulevard

So. What's the solution?

Give the shit away for free. Who can steal it then? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back