speaking of music books (1 Viewer)

hoochmonkey9

Art should be its own hammer.
Reaper Crew
Founding member
the loved/hated pitchfork.com lists their 60 favourite books about music.

I can't believe these aren't included:

beneath-the-underdog-by-charles-mingus-mobile-wallpaper.jpg

words_and_music_a_history_of_pop_300x413.jpg

9780312914004.gif

but that's just me...

[Okay, wait, I totally misread your post - these are books I don't think should be in their list. I could add about 20 that should be there...]

Not to mention this

bassculture300.jpg

which isn't even one of the top 60 books about Reggae, or this

revo250.jpg

which might not be in the top 160 Beatles books.

You know, as far as I'm concerned.

although, I must give the article kudos for leading me to this.

and I can universally recommend this book:

hipthehistory300.jpg

I was expecting a flippant, ironic hipster tome, but it's completely the opposite. it's social history/commentary and well written.

Hooch, agree about Christgau. His collected reviews from the 1970s and 1980s influenced my buying habits for a long time. The Ehs and Eh pluses steered me right most of the time.

I recently saw a documentary on Lillian Roxon. Obviously didn't know much about her except that I had her Encyclopedia of Rock from 1969/71. Had to check the introduction just to prove to myself that there was no mention that she was from Australia. News to me from the doc. I wish some of her writings from the late 1960s/early 70s could be collected.

Also agree about the Mingus book. Haven't read that in a while. Picked up a book done by Sue Graham Mingus, Tonight at Noon, which will be read some day.

Another jazz book of interest is Artie Shaw's The Trouble With Cinderella.

Joe Carducci's Rock and the Pop Narcotic. Bob Greene's Billion Dollar Babies. Some old Vintage Press books like The Age of Rock and Twenty Minute Fandangos and Forever Changes. Scholastic book titles. The list goes on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back