Swine Flu (1 Viewer)

chronic

old and in the way
So, how many of you have come down with this?

My 9-year-old has it now and it's a nasty one. His fever spiked at 105.2° last night and, with Motrin and Tylenol, the lowest we've been able to get it is around 101°. Needless to say, we're pretty worried about him, but his Doctor says that as long as he's drinking and pissing regularly there's not much to do other than trying to keep the fever down and making sure he rests (which is not a problem since he has no energy at all).

Of course, since I seem to catch everything the kids bring home, I expect I'll be sick as a dog sometime in the next few days.

Anyone else have any experience with this yet?

It hits the kids. They say us old farts were exposed to this like 30 years ago-when was that?

My 3 yr. old niece had it a few months back and it seemed to subside and then got very bad. She spent several days in the hospital. She is all better now.

Glad she recovered okay.

Yes, Matthew was sick for a couple of days last week, seemed alright for several days, and then this. Apparently that's one of the indicators that it's H1N1.

They are advertising h1n1 shots on the street corner drug marts now but I don't think I want to get one. Kids should get the shots.

Kids should get the shots.

Yes, and people with chronic diseases like heart and lung diseases.

My cousin's husband caught the swine flu and got a prescription for some tablets called Tamiflu and after a couple of days he was back on his feet again. So, if you get swine flu, call your doctor and get a prescription for Tamiflu tablets (or whatever they're called in the US).

I myself had my first shot of H1N1 vaccine almost a month ago and I'm due for the second shot next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far, the Center for Disease Control (in U.S.) says only about 70 million doses of the vaccine have been shipped, and that is barely enough to cover the "at-risk" segments of the population (pregnant women, anyone ages 6 mos. to 24 yrs., health care workers, or those living with people aged 25 to 64 with serious underlying health problems.

OK - there's my loophole. Any buk dot net member 25-64 is hereby invited to my place for a couple days. I will get you drunker than you've ever been in your life, then early the next morning we go to the clinic. I point to you and say "Here's my sickly roommate - Now give me a vaccine." Foolproof plan I'd say...

So far, the Center for Disease Control (in U.S.) says only about 70 million doses of the vaccine have been shipped, and that is barely enough to cover the "at-risk" segments of the population (pregnant women, anyone ages 6 mos. to 24 yrs., health care workers, or those living with people aged 25 to 64 with serious underlying health problems.

Same here. Right now they have enough for people with chronic diseases. Later other groups will follow inc. health care workers.

Drinking cheap bourbon seems to keep me from ailment, the fear of ailment, the thought of ailment. Though I'm perhaps in need of an ignition locking device for my keyboard when I go to posting rambling nonsense when full of the cheap stuff.

The daughter of my girlfriend (11) caught it about 2 weeks ago. 2 days later, my girlfriend had it too.

The girl was set on Tamiflu and recovered within a few days. My girlfriend didn't have much of a fever so they didn't give her Tamiflu and it took her a little longer to get better.

Meanwhile, the girl's back to school and all is well with her, while my girlfriend is alright again except for some occational coughing (but without slime coming). So, everything turned out to be not so horrific.

So far, I've heared of 3 schools in my town, where they had it widespread. But none of these cases seemed to be really serious.

A workmate got infected by his daughter and they're both locked in the same room since two weeks now. Another guy I work with got sick from the vaccination and left early with heavy pains in the arm. He looked like a zombie from that injection.

My sister in MA had it and one of my co-workers here in OR had it. But nothing too serious yet, that I'm aware of. My house has been sick since my son started daycare back in October, but we've been lucky enough to avoid anything too terrible.

Matthew seemed a lot better yesterday... his fever had broken and he had a little more energy. This morning his fever was back and he wasn't breathing well so my wife took him back to the doctor.

Now he has pneumonia.

My fucking wife, who is a nurse practitioner and should know better, declined to have the kids immunized at school last month because of some weird belief she has about vaccines causing the illness that they're meant to prevent. I disagreed, but arguing the point, arguing any point, is useless with her. It just turns into a fight that she will "win" by either screaming louder or bursting into tears and locking herself in the bathroom.

To the best of my knowledge, none of the kids who received the vaccine caught the flu. We have a five-year-old who hasn't come down with it but I'm guessing that it's a matter of time before he does, and he's closer to the age where the flu is considered really dangerous.

If you have kids who haven't taken the vaccine, you should get it for them... this really is a nasty flu.

i had to talk my wife into it too. She is going to nursing school. The same complaint from her about it being a live virus.

I had the kids vaccinated.

Bill

my wife had to talk me into it due to equal parts of apathy and skepticism.
but our kid got it for sure.
wish you the best for your kid chronic

Matthew seemed a lot better yesterday... his fever had broken and he had a little more energy. This morning his fever was back and he wasn't breathing well so my wife took him back to the doctor.

Now he has pneumonia.

Damn, I hope he pulls up OK.

My fucking wife......but arguing the point, arguing any point, is useless with her. It just turns into a fight that she will "win" by either screaming louder or bursting into tears and locking herself in the bathroom.

I'm sorry to hear you married the same woman I did. Luck to us both.

Thanks, and yes... he's getting better with antibiotics. From what the doctor said, about 80-90% of people who get this flu end up with pneumonia at the end of it.

I just walked in from getting the vaccine for myself and my 5-year-old got the vaccine yesterday. His pediatrician said that, with my history, it would be a really bad thing if I were to get this flu.

Glad to hear Matthew is getting better, chronic! Swine flu plus pneumonia are nasty stuff.
I think those persons, including some doctors too, who says you should'nt get the vaccine, are doing people a disservice. I'm certainly glad I got the vaccine. I'll rather risk getting some side-effects from it than dying from swine flu (worst case scenario).

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back