Targets #4 (1 Viewer)

cirerita

Founding member
Do you think he's talking about Targets #4 or A Signature Charles Bukowski Poetry (Targets #4 "detachable booklet")? The way he mentions this being a "special Targets issue" makes me think he's talking about A Signature of CB Poetry rather than Targets #4, but he says he has received way more than half a dozen copies. As you know, there were only 6 copies made of A Signature of Poetry...

Attachments

• Garner, Dec 1960.jpg
    Garner, Dec 1960.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 259
"I am a dangerous man when turned loose with a typewriter."

excellent.
I tend to think it's just the Targets 4, not the Signature. maybe he meant "special Targets issue" because that issue had 8 poems in it.
didn't it?

According to Krumhansl, there were 6 offprint copies (this is "A Signature of Charles Bukowski Poetry" offprint with a wrapper cover put on it by the publisher) that were given to Bukowski (assumed to be in December 1960) and that were the same in content as the detachable Bukowski "booklet" that was included in all copies of Targets #4 (which would have also been called "A Signature of Charles Bukowski Poetry", I believe) so It makes sense that the publisher would have send him a bunch of copies of the full Targets #4. Anyone know how many copies of Targets were published?

I think that David Barker has done some research on this issue and wrote a piece on this in his Bukowski price guide.

According to Krumhansl, there were 6 offprint copies (this is "A Signature of Charles Bukowski Poetry" offprint with a wrapper cover put on it by the publisher) that were given to Bukowski (assumed to be in December 1960) and that were the same in content as the detachable Bukowski "booklet" that was included in all copies of Targets #4 (which would have also been called "A Signature of Charles Bukowski Poetry", I believe) so It makes sense that the publisher would have send him a bunch of copies of the full Targets #4.
It does make sense that they would send a lot of copies of the regular issue, but I read this letter as saying he received at least a couple dozen of the "offprint" issue (where Krumhansl says 6).

I wonder where the number 6 came from anyway. It always seemed odd to me that they would go to the trouble of making up those special copies for Bukowski but only do 6.

And didn't cirerita say there were two at USC (or someplace)?

If Krumhansl got his information from the publishers, then I guess that's that. But this certainly raises the question of whether there were more than six. Why would Bukowski say he is saving a few of the regular issues for himself? It seems as if he's talking about the offprint.

Hi,
I took the reference of the "Special TARGETS issue" to mean the fact that he was included in the center section much like Wormwood Review did with their feature poets center section. That treatment would make the magazine "special" to most poets, more than an offprint edition that was sent from the publisher.

The 6 (or 24 for that matter) copies of the offprint edition are the same as what was in the magazine and would not have required anything more than adding an outside wrapper. I seem to remember hearing that the spines had no staple holes, whick would keep people from buying Targets #4 to try to "make" Krumhansl 4 out of it.

Surely Rekrab, Jason, or nymark have some info on this...

Bill

I don't think Aaron K. learned from the publisher that there were 6 offprint copies only. I would say that John Martin told him so, and I bet Martin probably learned that from B. himself, which means...

The 2 copies I personally saw were (are) at UCSB.

Bill, I did research that subject (or something like it), but it was 26 years ago and I've forgotten what I learned. I'll have to go back and reread myself to learn what I found out back then. Life is a perpetual mystery as you age. On the other hand, I recently reread a poem I wrote in the early 70s, and I said something in it about forgetting the details of my own life, so this is not exactly a new development.

[offtopic]
... I'll have to go back and reread myself to learn what I found out back then. Life is a perpetual mystery as you age. On the other hand, I recently reread a poem I wrote in the early 70s, and I said something in it about forgetting the details of my own life, so this is not exactly a new development.
didn't we talk about such things elsewhere recently?
;-))

[/offtopic]

Can you imagine newspapers in 2012 giving even one word of press to a 32 page poetry magazine published in our state?

Times were different, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back