The 2007 Oscar Thread (2 Viewers)

number6horse

okyoutwopixiesoutyougo
Observations and predictions, anyone ?

The best films of the past year ?
What films did you see ?
Who deserved their nomination ?
Who didn't ?

So far, I've only seen Michael Clayton and The Assassination of Jesse James, but both were excellent. My early money is on Michael Clayton to take the top prize. I think the other nominees are just TOO EDGY for the Academy voters as a whole. Yes, I know that we - as Buksters - can handle anything expressed artistically, but I see the themes of murder, greed for oil, teenage pregnancy, and British melodrama as too risky this political time of year - compared to the "safe" route of honoring a "David vs. Goliath"-style battle of good vs. evil (complete with requisite moral shadings and blurring of absolutes). For "liberal" Hollywood, they usually play it safe (Remember Brokeback Mountain vs. Crash ? ).

This week I am seeing No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood. Possibly, Juno if there is time, but if I had to choose between that and Into The Wild, I'd head for the wilderness, myself.

All-Time Best 10 List

Apocalypse Now
M
The Godfather
Drunken Angel
Modern Romance
Adaptation
Elevator To The Gallows
Amadeus
Birdy
Citizen Kane
The Stranger

Best Documentary Film: A tie for the two that just arrived in my mailbox today, the Buk readings in Vancouver and Redondo.

I say this without even having opened the cellophane wrapping.

My preditions in BOLD...

BEST PICTURE

Atonement
Juno
Michael Clayton
No Country For Old Men
There Will Be Blood

BEST ACTOR

George Clooney (Michael Clayton)
Daniel Day-Lewis (There Will Be Blood)
Johnny Depp (Sweeney Todd)
Tommy Lee Jones (In The Valley of Elah)
Viggo Mortensen (Eastern Promises)

BEST ACTRESS

Cate Blanchett (Elizabeth:The Golden Age)
Julie Christie (Away From Her)
Marion Cotillard (La Vie En Rose)
Laura Linney (The Savages)
Ellen Page (Juno)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Casey Affleck (Assassination of Jesse James)
Javier Bardem (No Country For Old Men)
Philip Seymour Hoffman (Charlie Wilson's War)
Hal Holbrook (Into The Wild)
Tom Wilkinson (Michael Clayton)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Cate Blanchett (I'm Not There)
Ruby Dee (American Gangster)
Saoirse Ronan (Atonement)
Amy Ryan (Gone Baby Gone)
Tilda Swinton (Michael Clayton)

Breaking the waves

Which foreign movies are nominated?
Don't tell me the winner is a Dutch movie again!
I vote for Lars von Trier, did he make a movie in 2007?

Well, most of my predictions were way off. I blame a disturbance in the atmosphere due to exploding sattelites and lunar eclipses.

Most of the academy members voted before the eclipse. I am glad they appreciate the Cohen bros. and Javier Bardem. There was Daniel Day Lewis

Yes - I have no argument with their choices. In fact, that is why I love the Oscars. Over the years, they have usually proven to nominate five "winners" in each category. Every damn one of the nominees is a high-quality performance - no matter who gets the award. Of course, there are some left out to begin with, but that is more a function of the numerical limits (5 or 3, depending on the category).

How about the host, Jon Stewart ? I thought he had some great lines.

(Introducing Tom Hanks) "Our next presenter is a two-time Oscar winner, but he's not nominated for anything tonight. So frankly, I don't think he has ANY BUSINESS being here !"

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back