THE COLDSPRING JOURNAL No. 10, April 1976 (1 Viewer)

Pogue Mahone

Officials say drugs may have played a part
The database has a mix of these poems from various sources, but only one from this journal. Included here is one extra poem not in the database, plus some horrible reproductions of Brad Darby photos. (P.S. That's Skiroom's uncle Joe on the title page asking, "What The FUCK?" The guy in the van obviously has no insurance. NYC, circa 1976. )

HAPPY NEW YEAR YOU SUBNORMAL FUCKS!

IMG_20181230_0001.jpg
IMG_20181230_0002.jpg
IMG_20181230_0004.jpg
IMG_20181230_0005.jpg

That's Skiroom's uncle Joe on the title page...
:DD
Thanks for the present!

P.S. The poems later collected in Love Is a Dog from Hell (I'm Getting Back to Where I Was, After the Reading, The Meek Have Inherited) have been changed there. Especially the ending part of After the Reading.

Last edited:
That's dope for many reasons. The picture on the title page is funny. Pictures of Bukowski I've never seen, on of them him grinning like a happy man. The Bob Dylan poem appears to be cut off if I remember correctly. I remember reading it with a different ending (?)

Contributors list is interesting too, many names appear in Bukowskis letters somewhere: Rod McKuen, Brown Miller, Al Fogel, Lyn Lifshin, Malanga, Blazek, J(örg) Fauser (?!), T.L. Kryss ... Aram Saroyan is the son of William Saroyan. Was wondering who Erro is, appears to be a painter from Iceland: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erró

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
The Bob Dylan poem appears to be cut off if I remember correctly. I remember reading it with a different ending (?)
Maybe you're mixing Bob Dylan (published in Storm for the Living and the Dead, identical to the word to this magazine version) up with Trench Warfare (a poem from Love Is a Dog from Hell), whose ending goes like this:

someday they’ll
each be dead
someday they’ll
each have a
separate coffin
and it will be
quiet.

but right now
it’s Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan Bob
Dylan all the
way.
I believe both poems are about the same young couple blasting their stereo in Buk's neighbo(u)rhood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back