The day Bukowski died

Discussion in 'All things Bukowski' started by Ambreen, Sep 23, 2009.

1. bospress.net

bospress.net www.bospress.net Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

hey y'all!

2. Ponder

Ponder "So fuck Doubleday Doran" Live to Ride ROAD CAPTAIN

gota on hiatus time

3. Ambreen

Ambreen Sordide Sentimental SAMCRO

That was a nice initiative, Roni. But you were wearing the wrong fuck off t-shirt.

4. roni

roni Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

hey, really!?
    You mean, like ... EVERYBODY???

5. Johannes

Johannes First 9 Redwood Original Unholy Ones

Not me. Bitches.

Hosh likes this.
  6. Gerard K H Love

Gerard K H Love Appreciate your friends Men of Mayhem

LOL! me neither. Right on, Johannes.

7. zobraks

zobraks SAMCRO Unholy Ones

Twenty years ago I saw this article in "Politika" (The Politics), the leading Serbian newspaper:

Umro_Bukovski.jpg

Charles Bukowski has died

San Pedro, March 10 (Associated Press)

France (?) Smith, a mother of his daughter, announced that Charles Bukowski, an American poet and novelist, died of leukemia at 73.

Born as Henry Chinaski (sic!), Bukowski descended from Russian immigrants (!). It's worth noting his novels, translated also in our language:
    "The Prodigal Son" (Ham on Rye), Notes of a Dirty Old Man (!), Tales of Ordinary Madness (!), Women, Post Office and Factotum.

Black Swan likes this.
  8. Black Swan

Black Swan Abord the Yorikke! ROAD CAPTAIN Unholy Ones

Thank you, zobraks!

Twenty years ago, today.

Hosh likes this.
  9. Hosh

Hosh hoshomccreesh.com Redwood Original Unholy Ones

(pours one out for his homie)

10. Digney in Burnaby

Digney in Burnaby donkeys live a long time Redwood Original Unholy Ones

A day late, working with a back up laptop as the primary one is sick (but has all this data).

John Bennett's response.

ellensburg daily record 19940517.JPG

11. zobraks

zobraks SAMCRO Unholy Ones

Beautiful.

12. Black Swan

Black Swan Abord the Yorikke! ROAD CAPTAIN Unholy Ones

A good one, DiB!

about the poems... John Bennett says:
    "they electrified me, they set me dancing about my garret room so that my four-year-old son broke into laughter and began dancing with me, they clarified and verified what remained of my childhood perceptions that I was desperately and intuitively trying to hang on to (the good, the pure, the accurate and preconception-free small child perceptions that get pounded out of existence in most of us at an early age)."

reading this was so good that now I am running out of this room to paint like a fool. :agb:

Digney in Burnaby likes this.
  13. ESO9

ESO9 Prospect

I got monumentally drunk.

14. Danny Mac

Danny Mac Prospect

My best friend at the time called me and told me over the phone. I was surprised at how serious he was as if he wanted to take it easy on me. It was night time. I was stunned and I didn't know how to react. We talked about Buk for a while and then hung up. It wasn't until later that it started to creep up on me and then I started to realize what a total tragedy it was. That weekend I got good and drunk while re-reading the few books I had. It was then that I went on a multi year reading binge on Buk and developed a deep love for him.

riffwrites likes this.
  15. roni

roni Men of Mayhem Unholy Ones

Today, I feel like it's right to bring this up again.

PhillyDave, Petey, Bukfan and 2 others like this.
  16. skiroomalum

skiroomalum See that bank? Used to be a cigar store... Redwood Original Unholy Ones

I was in my first Buk reading/collecting phase and wasn't shocked because I knew he had been ill, but was really saddened. I went to see Red a couple days later and shot the shit for awhile. I was 28, and Bukowski is someone I actually still think about daily, 23 years later. I think I bought a couple of L.A. Times for his obit.

17. PhillyDave

PhillyDave rock, hill Redwood Original Unholy Ones

18. damn... what a fine tribute