The Days Run Away... and Mockingbird Wish Me Luck... (1 Viewer)

I haven't read either yet, but they are in the mail!!! I have read Love Is a Dog From Hell and Burning in Water and Drowning in Flame and most of the novels except Pulp and most of the short stories...

I just want to know how awesome are The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over the Hills and Mockingbird Wish Me Luck?

I am getting completely addicted to Buk's poetry, I almost think I like it the best...

This is my first time posting here but I visit this site a few times a week... my two favorite novels are Post Office and Women... probably Post Office being number 1. I really dug Hollywood too...

anyways, just wanted to say hi!!! and to have you all tell me how awesome The Days... and Mockingbird are so please give me some feedback on those pieces and anything else you want to add!

much love to all,

Josh Rock
Chicago

and PS thanks to the person who created this site! I owe you a beer, or ten.

Welcome to the forum. I recommend you get the creator a bottle of highland Scotch whiskey, not beer...and a steak, a big thick one.

There was an article in the paper today on a Delaware delicacy. Muskrat! I shit you not. The restaurants only sell it during the trapping season and always are running out. It can also be bought at local meat markets where they announce it with sandwich boards outside butchen shops. It is filleted and served with its head still attached. I have never eaten it (and NEVER would). Even the description from Muskrat aficionados does not sound good. I know in the south they still eat opossum, but I thought that we were more civilized in these here parts. Guess not...

Scapple is another strange Delaware thing. I know that people eat this stuff all over the country, but we are probably the only state to have a festival for it. We have a festival here every year called the "Apple Scrapple Festival".

Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own state...

I don't think scrapple has infiltrated the rest of the country. I only know about it because I saw it mentioned twice very recently, and both times they called it a Delaware "treat." Though I'm sure other areas have a similar delicacy, based on the parts of the pig or cow that should be burned or fed to dogs. ;)

The short stories are the real treat. I prefer them, and his sort of journal/rants like in "Captain... and now "Portions... over anything...well not exactly, but book of poems could be read rather quickly. And I cringe at the fact I am already 82 pages into the "Portions...! Anymore Posthumous work on horizon? Or do I have to re-read everything once again?

I haven't heard anyone mention Scrapple in awhile, certainly an "acquired taste" if you want to go that far. Scrapple has leaked into Southern Jersey, where you can find it sometimes, as well as another one of PA's specialties, Puddin' Meat. But what I miss most about Jersey are diners and Taylor Ham, aka pork roll, the best breakfast meat ever. I'm sure Bill has come across it.

Josh, Good news, the vegan guy is a prominent publisher who has big connections. His mailing address is on his web page.

If you want to really impress the hell out of him try sending him some of this New Zealand whiskey.

well that's good! maybe ill let him read the 2nd novel when I'm done. the first one is done but its fiction. I think we should have a forum party and all get rowdy! what is everyone doing for spring break? I'll be in Fort Lauderdale and Key Largo. I am managing Jimmy Hawkins son's band now ha. you should all come to the Caribbean Club! we'll get drunk! I'm going to get drunk anyway with or without you but you are invited!

In other news, I officially own a copy of Pleasure's of the Damned. I had to go out and get something the other day. and since my Mockingbird isn't here yet and Days Run Away... isn't yet I figured this would give me a little sample of it all. kinda like the Johnny Walker sampler kit... which I did enjoy for my b-day a few months ago.

I went to the Animal House here at Southern IL University last night. we drank. someone smoked something that smelled like a skunk. I hobbled home around 1:30 and then slept till 5pm. but anyways. back at it. hope you are all doing splendid and seriously thinking about coming to Key Largo in a week!

what have you all been reading? I want specifics! anyone live in Santa Barbara?

cheers!

and I hope all of your dates are good ones!

joshua

I too bought 'Days' and 'Mockingbird' after I've read Hank's recommendation for these in the introduction of 'Burning'. He was right: these three fit together very well. I like them a lot.

And I like meat.

I myself do enjoy a nice steak every now and then, but I feel so guilty afterwards. I'm doing the vegetarian thing again because I just feel its the healthier option, plus I want to lose a few pounds... I do think its hilarious of you though Zenguru for changing your profile pic to a fat burger. haaa

[...] I am getting completely addicted to Buk's poetry, I almost think I like it the best... [...]
I love that line Josh, and I'm sure Buk would have appreciated it too.
Buk helped me to rediscover the power of poetry - and that it doesn't haven to be wishy washy...

Now I've gotta get back to my whale steak.
Foop the whales!

i'm from chicago, vegan, fond of johnnie walker green label, and my name begins with a j.

just throwin' it out there.

Tell me you play guitar and can tour!!!

I love that line Josh, and I'm sure Buk would have appreciated it too.
Buk helped me to rediscover the power of poetry - and that it doesn't haven to be wishy washy...

Now I've gotta get back to my whale steak.
Foop the whales!

If it swims I will eat it is my new rule!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back