The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over the Hills (1 Viewer)

For a first Bukowski poetry book is this a good place to start? I know people's opinions will vary but how does this book compare with the rest of his work? does it have a particular feel/style too it that differs from his other books?

I was told here on this forum that it is his early style of writing. Writing while he was still working. I enjoyed it and like to pick it up from time to time.
He gets better and better in the next decades. That does have the best title.

Here is a link to check out.

Yeah, it's hard to choose which one to get first. He has quite a lot of books out there, but the first choice is the most important so I wanna get something that I'll really like. I have also seen a copy of Love is a dog from hell on ebay but I don't know how it compares with The days run....

I know it's not good to solely rely on reviews when buying books but this one seems to describe what I like about the bUk poems I have read.

This book is Bukowski's finest collection of poetry ever published. As with all prolific writers, Buk's books often come with more filler than sustenance- that is not the case here. The poems written for/about Jane highlight his most soulful collection. The usual mask of nonchalance has been stripped away, along with the chains of his self-created tough guy/barfly image. The tenderness and warmth are unfiltered by his masculine facade. Moving, desolate, and often humorous, this book is nearly flawless. It is written in such a way that anyone can read and understand. It isn't written in a flowery, deeply symbolic style that makes younger readers hate poetry. This book is from the heart, mind and fists of a man who has loved, suffered, hated and laughed. Anyone who has done likewise should be able to appreciate the raw beauty presented within. Make no mistake, the alcoholism, sex and madness that made Bukowski famous are all represented here as well. This is the book to read if you are interested in the most three-dimensional portrayal of the late poet.

'Days' has a lot of moving poems about the death of Jane Cooney Baker. It's not a bad start.
You can easily combine it with 'Burning' and 'Mockingbird' - then you cover a great lot of the early Bukowski until the mid-70s.

I'd start with the three of them, 'cause you get a feel for his developement in style, when you read 'Love is a Dog' After them - and 'Dangling' after That - and then 'You get so Alone' ...

But any of these will work, I'm sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back