• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

the first 5 broadsides - $37,500 (1 Viewer)

jordan

lothario speedwagon
just saw these a the sf antiquarian book fair. my guess is that it's the same set vicarious was selling a while back (now discounted to the bargain price of $37,500). if not, it's pretty remarkable that there are two sets of these still in perfect condition.

Who was the seller? I would bet that they are the same ones. Many times booksellers will sell books for other booksellers that they have a solid relationship with.

Bill

ralph sipper in santa barbara is the seller... he has a bunch of nice bukowski stuff - books with paintings, the montfort photo book, the wedding book, etc. since the fair hasn't officially started yet, i haven't had a chance to see the books (and the prices), except for a copy of the days run away w/painting for $6500.

lotsa good bukowski stuff at the fair, though... i've seen at least 4 copies of crucifix, signed BSP books, it catches, fire station, at terror street, etc. once it opens, i'll be on the lookout for even rarer stuff.

Thanks for the link and info. Couldn't really find out what anyone was selling, as the search seems limited to the names of the booksellers, etc., attending the fair. From what mjp wrote, and the schematic, it looks big. Expensive. And probably a lot of fun...

Those bookfairs are amazing. It's like going to the literature museum except everything is for sale. Sipper usually has a nice assortment of Bukowski stuff but he is VERY expensive to buy from. He's a good bookman.

ralph sipper in santa barbara is the seller... he has a bunch of nice bukowski stuff - books with paintings, the montfort photo book, the wedding book, etc. since the fair hasn't officially started yet, i haven't had a chance to see the books (and the prices), except for a copy of the days run away w/painting for $6500.

lotsa good bukowski stuff at the fair, though... i've seen at least 4 copies of crucifix, signed BSP books, it catches, fire station, at terror street, etc. once it opens, i'll be on the lookout for even rarer stuff.

What number was "Days" and what number was "Terror?" And what was the asking for "Terror," if numbered...? Curious, as I own both with art...

If you recall, thanks...

<Edit> I guess I should read your post closer; if you go back, or if anyone is there, and can fill me in, thanks. Damn, I wish I could go to this event!!!! <Edit>

Pax

Those bookfairs are amazing. It's like going to the literature museum except everything is for sale. Sipper usually has a nice assortment of Bukowski stuff but he is VERY expensive to buy from. He's a good bookman.

Mark
Please let me know when the NY one comes up. I'll make the drive up. Maybe we can meet up for lunch. Plus, I want to go to Talas while I'm in the Bronx....

Bill

I went to an antiquarian book fair in LA about 1980, and bought a copy of Buk's ALL THE ASSHOLES IN THE WORLD AND MINE. The dealer asked me if I had any idea who Bukowski is? No, I'm a dummy who tosses away $30 on a pamphlet by someone he never heard of. What a tool that guy was. But it was an incredible fair.

i found out that sipper's set is not the same that vicarious had... apparently, there are 3 sets that collectors know about currently together in private hands.

i did well today- picked up a 1st trade hc of war all the time signed on the title page (for me) and a similar copy (signed first trade) of hollywood - to sell. $225 shipped if anyone is interested. Probably more rare signed in this condition than the numbered one, blah blah blah.

I'm just now recovering from the 37K pricetag on those broadsides... holy jeeeez!

I wish there were more rare book sales around here... I'd love to go just to look... I went to a small one when I was still living in MA and they had some nice stuff... Expensive, but nice. I can't imagine what a big city like SF or LA would have...

I just uncovered a broadside. It has a slight tear/rip in the top. It's rare, methinks. Maybe not. Gotta check the K list. BSP. Does that kill the value totally? Don't want to name it, as I'm too pissed off. Damn. Just found it while looking through my collectibles... <edit: I didn't pay a lot for it; perhaps that's why... duh; but it must still have some value...? edit>

Unless it is one of the first five, it is not rare rare, and the tear devalues it quite a bit. If it is one of the first five, the tear would have a minimal effect on the price. It would still be very valuable.

I believe it is: Talking to My Mailbox. The words could be wrong here. And I think it is number 13 "” or the 13th. Poetic for Friday the 13th. Never really collected broadsides; just books with art; and the like. Bought it about 10-15 years ago. Just dug the poem; really not as an investment. But it may be worth more than what I spent on it. $5. It's got one fold, and that dad-gum minor tear/rip. Still a cool piece BSP piece...

Last edited by a moderator:
All the Assholes In The World & Mine

That's my favorite piece by Buk. I hope you've hung on to that one.

I actually held a copy of it in my hands. Was ready to buy it. But it wasn't priced properly, and the gent at the counter didn't know the actual price. It was marked at five bucks. I pointed that out to him (that that was not the right price). He didn't know the price, and told me I had to wait an hour for the boss of Gotham to come back.

I was heading to Penn Station to catch a train, which wasn't a far walk from where Gotham used to be in the diamond district, and couldn't wait. I already had a stack of Buk books, including Buk-Purdy (letter version), so I gave him my card, told him my relationship with the owner, and split.

I called back the next day, and it was gone.

That was the only time I had ever seen a live copy, and it pisses me off to this day. I was a good customer, so yeah, I was irked.

But getting great titles back then in NY was tough, at least for me, so I had to bite my tongue.

That fucking hour wasn't that important, looking back. It was just the "catch the next train to Long Island" mentality; one of the stupid sheep.

Probably could have picked it up for $100 bucks or so. I paid $125 for my copy of "Eight Story Window" around the same time. So I think it would have sold in a similar zip code.

Damn. That fucking hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back