The king of the punks? (1 Viewer)

Johannes

Founding member
I remember reading it in the german translation of "Shakespeare never did this" and here it comes again: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4848720599238754671&q=Charles+Bukowski

While being in Paris B. obviously got interviewed by somebody who called himself or was called the "king of the punks", asking for heroin, zipping the zippers of his leather jacket up and down and telling that he likes smog.

Anybody got an idea who this ominous person was? Or could be?

Sid Vicious? I doubt that. He would have been in the states in September 1978.

Sid moved to NYC in August of '78.
I was under the impression that "The King of the Punks" was French. that's what "Shakespeare Never...." intimates, at least to me.
but, I'm pretty good at being wrong.

I thought you were joking, ESMoist.

Everything is possible. But Sid Vicious? I can hardly imagine. Why should he interview B. And for whom? And what ever happened to this interview? Wouldn?t it had gotten a wider recognition, no matter how good or bad it went because of the name(s)?

Maybe it was Jim Morrison.

Maybe it was Jim Morrison

Now you're joking, eh? I went back and re-read the part in "Shakespeare never did this" and I can't figure out who he is talking about. I do remember footage being shot in France in '77 or '78 that ended up in "The Great rock & Roll Swindle," so that was my first guess. But you're right, it makes no sense.

Yeah, if you watch "The Great Rock & Roll Swindle" or even "The Filth and The Fury", by 1978, Sid is a mess. He can barely hold a conversation and is constantly falling asleep(side effect if his heroin habit). I don't think he could of pulled it together long enough to interview anyone, even if he had been paid an extravagant sum to do so.

However, in that vein, here is an interview with Johnny Lydon(aka Rotten) from earlier this year in which he discusses his past with the sex pistols and describes his reaction at being labeled "king of the punks"(presumably by Melody Maker):

http://www.johnlydon.com/faction06.html

But even in that scenario, Lydon is such a tool, it's hard to believe he would have interviewed Bukowski seriously and if he did, you would think the interview would be around somewhere.

Now had Shane McGowan or Joe Strummer been in France in '78.....;)

So, nobody got details?

My guess is that it was some sort of minor local celebrity music-journalist. The french answer to Lester Bangs but smaller.

Unfortunately we still got no people from France here. Or do we?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back