the Mountain Goats (1 Viewer)

I wonder how many people on this forum are familiar with the music of the Mountain Goats. John Darnielle, singer/songwriter is the primary member of the band. I use the term band very loosely as up until recently the "band" was just John with a guitar, then it turned to John and a bass guitarist, Peter Hughes, and most recently drummer Jon Wurster has helped out on tour to form a minimal band.

John was named one of this generations best (non hip-hop) lyricists. Why non hip-hop I ask, as I feel that title assumes that hip-hop lyricists are better then traditional rock songwriters?

Anyway, the songs are full of complex characters and are very much story driven. The album Tallahassee which was released in 2003 tells the story of the "Alpha Couple" which to sum up is a couple that only had drinking in common. For some reason they leave the motel in Vegas and craw across the southern US to Tallahassee to give their marriage one last chance.

I've been a pretty big fan of theirs since I first discovered them back in college and have been attending concerts on a yearly basis. I've seen the band well above 10 times now. I've met all of the people that mean the most to me through the band. I met one of my best friends at a concert in Brooklyn back in 2005 and I met my girlfriend at a concert in New York City last year.

I'd like to share them with you because everyone on this forum seems to have similar taste, and I'd like to offer a suggestion to hopefully enrich your lives the same way this band has enriched mine.

You can check out the Mountain Goats at their official website: http://www.mountain-goats.com

Here are some sample tracks that you can download (free & legal) in chronological order.

From the album We Shall All Be Healed, Palmcorder Yajna

From the album The Sunset Tree, Lions Teeth

From the album Get Lonely, New Monster Avenue

From the newest album Heretic Pride, Sax Rohmer #1

Never heard of them, sorry.
I've met all of the people that mean the most to me through the band. I met one of my best friends at a concert in Brooklyn back in 2005 and I met my girlfriend at a concert in New York City last year.
Very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back