The Ordinary Madness of Charles Bukowski: BBC Doc (1 Viewer)

HenryChinaski

Founding member
after looking at that one interview I found this:

never been on youtube before.
first time seeing this. I'll let you know.

EDIT: OH WAIT, THIS WAS ON YAHOO BEFORE. NOW ITS ON YOUTUBE. GREAT DOCUMENTARY.

Or that's how you get after you survive the hell of his father. Or nearly dying alone and a feww other tortures he lived through. After some of that nothing else should excite you too much. Being calm is cool.:cool:

Bukowski has a remarkably calm voice, I suppose that's how you get when you get old.
Or that's how you get after you survive the hell of his father. Or nearly dying alone and a feww other tortures he lived through. After some of that nothing else should excite you too much.
It would be interesting to hear a tape of him talking or reading pre-1954. If we believe that the county hospital incident was a near-death experience, then it's possible that he changed - slowed down - after he recovered. He has said that it was after that experience that he began writing more poetry, so something changed in him.

Near-death experiences and head injuries have been known to make profound changes in a person's personality (near-death experiences that deprive the brain of blood/oxygen can have an effect similar to head injuries, apparently). There are a surprising number of comedians who suffered head injuries and whose families say they were different people after their accidents; Rosanne Barr and Sam Kinison are two that come to mind. But there are several others.

Hard to say in Bukowski's case, since I don't think anyone here knew him the late 40's/early 50's. ;) But I wonder about that sometimes. If Bukowski in his late 20's was the same slow, deliberate, slit eyed guy who eventually gained notoriety.

Buk says he did slow down after hospital...

It is in one of the documentaries--perhaps the Barbet Schroeder tapes---in which Buk says that after the hospital he slowed down considerably--that before he was energetic and rushing about, and then became much more deliberate and slow moving and slow talking...
I've often wondered if one of the reasons he loved cats so much is because they are said to have nine lives...:)

It's actually 5 X 10 minutes, Corndog, and Henry Chinaski gave us the links in the first post of this thread! Thanks anyway!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back