The Ordinary Madness of Charles Bukowski - BBC doc (1 Viewer)

cirerita

Founding member
just watched this doc -thanks Adam!- and there are a few things that caught my attention right away.

The BBC seemed to have access to early 60's footage. Yes, footage is the key word here. It's not the typical early 60's pics, but you can actually see B moving around and talking -though no sound is heard! I would venture to say that the footage is from '63 or '65, but I might be wrong. In any case, I've never seen it before. Judge yourself:

Another lost image once linked from an image hosting service. Please attach images to your post. -ed.

There's also footage from the 1976 Troubadour reading and a 1977 reading:

Another lost image once linked from an image hosting service. Please attach images to your post. -ed.

However, that date might be wrong. Guess why?

Finally, as always, they show a lot of Bukowski stuff, and I just noticed this little book, but just I can't recall the title now. Remember, I'm a xerox guy and don't have that many originals...

It doesn't look like a fanzine to me, but a little -hardcover?- book. I thought it was one of those early 80's memoirs written by friends of B., but I'm no longer sure of that.

wow, thanks so much for that.

these are my favorite stills from the documentary that I hadnt seen before.

BUKbbc1.jpg

and this one

BUKbbc2.jpg

theres loads of good footage in here that I hadnt seen before.
thanks again.

Video of the ordinary madness of Charles Bukowski

Includes video of the infamous 1987 French TV talk show appearance.

Thanks a lot, man!!! - I've been wanting to se that doc. for years!
Does anyone know where you can find the 30 min. danish doc. by Mette Fugl (also known as "The scandinavian featurette") ?
- That's another one I've been looking for, for a long long time...

Last edited by a moderator:
i have yet to see a DECENT copy of BEST HOTEL...
it's a very good documentary, Bukowski only does a little narration but the film stands on it's own, it's well done (HBO).
I asked HBO about the doc and they still haven't replied, it's gotta be around 'somewhere'... The copies on eBay are BAD, or UNWATCHABLE.

wow, that was great. that early footage was amazing. where's the rest? the two at the end - 'laughing heart' and 'so now' are up there with his best. so simple and strong. bottoms up for bukowski.

I wonder who shot it. By the way, mjp, did a copy of the Taylor Hackford doc ever surface?

There are a lot of bootlegs of Hackford's edited version, but I have yet to see the original version, which is supposedly twice as long. Both versions are at the UCLA film archive I believe, I just haven't had time to set up a viewing. Anyone can set up a viewing though, so if you're in the area it might be worth checking out. Getting a copy out of the archive would probably prove to be very difficult.

Congratulations on the 10,000 post on the forum! I have no prize for you. My apologies.

Handheld camera? Yikes, the quality would be...well, about as good as any other bootleg. Ha.

mjp,

handheld HD camera, HD being the key word here. a handheld HD camera recording would surpass any bootleg out there... that is, if the hand helds the camera properly ;)

10.000? we sure are a gossipy bunch of bored farts... wait a minute, only the boring people get bored, right? :D

If anyone wants to send me a new HD camera, I will bootleg the documentary. In exchange for the camera.

But if I get caught and sentenced to a jail term, you also have to serve the time. I'm way too busy to sit in jail right now. Sorry.

On second thought, that seems like a lot of trouble. Maybe I'll just call Taylor Hackford and have him run off a dupe for me. Now where did I put his number...

Is it possible, somehow, to find out who the lady is in the early (1963-1965...) footage?

Probably not....but you never know.

This isn't up on google anymore, and I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

Sorry for bumping the thread back into existence, but would anyone know where to find this?

Here is a clip from YouTube I hadn't seen.

Deep Freeze burnt their name over it in places, but an interesting historical document.

It's been over three years since I posted this thread, and I just realized that I have not found the source of those clips from the 60s nor what's in the chapbook/book (a cassette???) in the pic below. Any ideas?? Or should we definitely give up??? ;)

951wd7.jpg

It doesn't look like a fanzine to me, but a little -hardcover?- book. I thought it was one of those early 80's memoirs written by friends of B., but I'm no longer sure of that.

Haven't seen this book before either, but it looks like a hardcover. Blow it up and it appears to be a three word title (the first mostly obscured) with the second word ending in an apostrophe s and the last word Live. But it doesn't match any Bukowski title that I know of. I too would guess that it's on him but not by him. The picture on the cover is one that I've seen before and it's of the younger Bukowski, the head used only. The book itself is a mystery. Good luck.

...what's in the chapbook/book (a cassette???) in the pic below. Any ideas?? Or should we definitely give up??? ;)

...and the last word Live...

Looking again at the still, comparing the size of the mystery item with the recognisable books there,
I'd say you are probably onto something suggesting that it may be an audio cassette.

I get the impression that the edge actually reads 'BUKOWSKI LIVE' so it's probably just some short run bootleg, probably of the Hostage reading or the Viking or some such.

Cover from a Sam Cherry photo perhaps?

Best guess. I'll ask the spirits later :cool:

I was thinking the same thing (bootleg). There were only a couple of legit cassette releases, and that isn't one of them.

That must be a cassette since a smaller version of that drawing is on the back of my "Screaming Life of Bukowski" cassette.

Tape 1 is "an hour of Radio/TV profiles of Bukowski from around the world" Tape 2 "Bukowski talks in-depth about his life of Booze, Loose Women, Job Madness, The Track, Writing and Fighting the world!!"
I think I got this many years ago from that Rikki Hollywood guy in England. (By the way, who IS that fellow?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back