The Singing Detective (1 Viewer)

I should do a little research before I ask this question ( I'm in the bloody library again and don't have the time) but I seem to recall when Buk was confined to his bed with T.B. in one of his letters he says he watched a British drama show called (I think) The Singing Detective and it damned near had him in tears. Has anybody ever seen this show?

I saw this show on PBS when it first aired in the US. It's about a crime novelist hospitalized with a severe case of psoriasis who keeps drifting in and out of a hallucinatory state. It was an amazing (and very funny, though it's not a comedy) show for its time. It's available on DVD.

I'm re-watching it at this very moment (a strange coincidence). I first saw it back in '88 and loved it then.
It's interesting to see how it holds up after all this time.

I can see how Buk would relate to it with the skin condition and all.

I read where he watched also.... any idea what book of letters that's from?

ROC, since the series is from 1984 it must be in the last letter book, Reach For The Sun. I just glanced through it and found buk mentioning it in a letter to Packard, March 31, 1989. It's on page 120...

Last edited by a moderator:
The letter says:

"By the way, during the worst of one of my fevers (104) there was a 6 part bit on TV called The Singing Detective, put out by the BBC. This guy was fucked up in bed too but I did'nt relate entirely on that score, the whole matter was so well acted by all, had so much pathos, humor, reality, juice and fire that I almost cried several times. I guess I'll never see it again but it is something to be remembered. People are still able to do powerful an miraculous things, sometimes. At rare times. Out of all the shit, here it comes, and one is very grateful that the world has not yet been TOTALLY wasted."

Last edited by a moderator:
Hehe, wise words Hank. What was the last thing he did which he insisted was to be spread over 2 networks? Can't remember but he raced to finish it before his death and it felt laboured. Lipstick on my Collar was good tho, not quite up to Singing Detective standards but good. The movie of the Singing Detective is rubbish in my opinion, too hollywood, too sterile. 'It was the 'bawdiness' of the BBC production I liked.

What was the last thing he did which he insisted was to be spread over 2 networks? Can't remember but he raced to finish it before his death and it felt laboured. Lipstick on my Collar was good tho, not quite up to Singing Detective standards but good.

Karaoke and Cold Lazarus were the two halves of that final work. I didn't catch all of it. Yeah I loved Lipstick too, the music was great. Not as polished a piece as Detective but still good work.

Dennis Potter is wonderful, after the Singing Detective I would also recommend 'Blue Remembered Hills'. If you are looking to get into British playwrights also check out the brilliant work of Alan Bennett

The Mel Gibson-produced remake of Potter's brilliant "Singing Detective" is, in many regards, an under-rated adaptation (by Potter, shortly before he died from liver cancer) but one must be very familiar with the original source material to appreciate it.

In short, without dissecting the 90-minute film scene-by-scene, the movie is Potter's construct of what a bad Hollywood reimagining of "Singing Detective" would look like. The film was shot to reflect this. The sets -- almost all interiors -- are deliberately flimsy in construction and the walls appear to be only half-painted. In the final shot of the film, all of the lights in the hospital corridor extinguish at once, a true "reveal the narrator" moment. (The narrator = the camera lens. You have been watching a movie, Potter appears to be saying, not reality).

All in all, though, Potter's original 6-parter for the BBC was a masterpiece in longform televison and a remake was ill-advised.

All in all, though, Potter's original 6-parter for the BBC was a masterpiece in longform televison and a remake was ill-advised.

So true. The Singing Detective is brilliant. I've only seen it once, but remember that it blew me away. I can totally understand why Buk liked it. Pennies From Heaven ain't bad either, with Bob Hoskins in a leading role.

When Dennis Potter found out he had terminal cancer he made one final interview which is a fascinating example of "how to walk thru the fire". Wikipedia says:

Last interview

On the 15 March 1994, three months before his death, Potter gave a strikingly memorable interview to Channel 4 in which he described his work and his determination to continue writing until the end. As he sipped on a morphine cocktail, he told a visibly moved Melvyn Bragg that he had two works he intended to finish (Cold Lazarus and Karaoke) before his impending death: "My only regret is if I die four pages too soon". The interview was shown on 5 April 1994.

Here's a treat for you all - it's now available on Utube (in 8 parts) here:

Yes, I viewed that interview last month. There's also a multi-part BBC mini-doc on Potter somewhere on You Tube wherein Potter playfully denies that his writing is autobiographical while the evidence proves to the contrary.

BBC TV: Dennis Potter's The Singing Detective - 6 one hour episodes

Finally watched the BBC show (22 years late), by Bukowski's recommendation. He was moved by it, and you will be too.

Don't be fooled by Mel Gibson's re-make. It's worse than shit!

I'm a huge Potter fan; have been since I saw The Mayor of Casterbridge and Pennies from Heaven. I think Singing Detective is his masterpiece.

I had no idea what he was doing with Blackeyes and I was glad to hear him say in his final interview that he'd overstepped the mark on that.

Dennis Potter is wonderful, after the Singing Detective I would also recommend 'Blue Remembered Hills'.

Ditto on "Blue Remembered Hills". I recently saw it and found it just as strong as the Singing D, in its own way. Its a bit strange at first, with adult actors playing the roles of small children, but quite compelling when you get into it. I find myself thinking of it often while observing my 4yearold daughter at play.

Reminded me of the Buk story (or poem) where some kids try to hang another kid in the garage... Can you Buk nerds help me out on the title? :rolleyes: You can also link it to the poem "I met a genius". An evil genius that is...
(Lord of the Flies comes to mind as well..., but thats by one of those lesser authors, you know, one of those nobel prize guys...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back