This is very cool... (1 Viewer)

This is indeed a great idea. But as a floating city-state/culture/whatever, it will sail into the territorial waters of established nations. And then the challenges will begin.

Of course, if the proper groundwork is established beforehand, with treaties, agreements, and boundaries reserved.....who knows?

I just hope Mother Nature doesn't force us into these decisions anytime soon!

This is indeed a great idea. But as a floating city-state/culture/whatever, it will sail into the territorial waters of established nations. And then the challenges will begin.

I assume that there would be tethers to keep them from drifting too far. If you're growing food on top of the thing you would need to be able to more or less count on certain weather patterns.

But, realistically, what would one of these things cost? A couple of trillion dollars each? More? How big would one actually be and how many people could live on one?

I doubt that it will ever be realized but it's nice to know there are still really creative people out there thinking this kind of stuff up.

i saw those images awhile back - very cool idea. and who knows: at the turn of the 20th century no one thought we'd be able to see each other and talk in real-time while being on opposite sides of the earth. so nothing's that far out of our reach.

on an unrelated note, i found these pics the other day and thought you might appreciate them, chronic:

http://www.2spare.com/item_92381.aspx

those pod pics are very interesting. I had to find out their story, but it seems to have a mysterious origin and demise.

link

and one of my favourite graffiti artists, Blu.

the floating islands are a nice idea. But won't work at the moment.

I remember an experiment, where they tried to build an artificial environment in balance. A whole building. No connection to the outer athmosphere. All our whole knowledge in how stable environments (in real nature) work, have gone into this project.

The result? You guessed it: a total desaster.
Everything going out of balance.
At the moment we simply aren't as good at building something like this as nature is.

Lovin all of the posts. Cool shit. The floating city that won't work; soilent geen; and especially the pod-town. That's some freaky shit. Looks like today's version of yesterday's today. Yesterday's futuristic version of today, to be more on point. Eerie. Cool. Spookmiester. The Blair Witch Project meets Asia, or wherever it is. Who wants to go spend a month there and film with me?

Homeless my man....definitely...

Got my Super8 and my 8mm cameras- you get some film.

and take some bear mace....

seems like all those "vagrants" might just get to us after a few months...

("Goddamnit will you stop raping young'uns down there?")

I'll bring the digi-cam. No need for film. A friend of mine's neighbor produced TBWP. Obscene dough-ray-me. For real. Lives in Plandome, NY. I'm talking Bentleys, without the ghosts. Have your people call my people. And don't worry about the bears, like HST, I own a doberman. My fourth. It is genetically armed with teeth. Actually killed a squirrel yesterday, and brought it to my back doorstep. My son was laughing. The dobie, Chocolate, loves bear meat. What's our next step?

Problem is they'll build one island for some people and another island for others. One group will fuck thiers up good and start paddling over in the middle of the night to the good one. So the good Island will have to start shooting the invaders. Now you got the same ol set-up...one group will sink the other one and everyone will somehow end up in the drink. I'm stayin back on the real dirt and take my chances.

those pod pics are very interesting. I had to find out their story, but it seems to have a mysterious origin and demise.

link

and one of my favourite graffiti artists, Blu.
people will not go near those pods because of superstitious beliefs.
In Taiwan, they believe there are ghosts inhabiting the empty pods.

But so neat looking.

I'll bring the digi-cam. No need for film. A friend of mine's neighbor produced TBWP. Obscene dough-ray-me. For real. Lives in Plandome, NY. I'm talking Bentleys, without the ghosts. Have your people call my people. And don't worry about the bears, like HST, I own a doberman. My fourth. It is genetically armed with teeth. Actually killed a squirrel yesterday, and brought it to my back doorstep. My son was laughing. The dobie, Chocolate, loves bear meat. What's our next step?

Digi-cam??!PTCHA!i cough into your face....we need flicker and grain and all that movement that comes with the wonders of light on chemical goops. My people have all gotten too drunk to talk to anyones people...except their own people...i guess its those fucking vagrants again...
Doberman?im allergic...not to the pods...but to the vagrant raping dobermans...men?dobermen?
our next step is to fill up the trunk with a few hundred bottles of wine, whiskey and some sort of beer....you choose...only not shit american beer...

then
go
east

Digi-cam??!PTCHA!i cough into your face....we need flicker and grain and all that movement that comes with the wonders of light on chemical goops. My people have all gotten too drunk to talk to anyones people...except their own people...i guess its those fucking vagrants again...
You win. Perhaps B&W, grainy. Out of focus most of the time. Original. And 32 cases of Johnny Walker Blue. No beer. No dogs. Just an endless supply of Marlboros. Sans filter. Or we can tear 'em off. When? Before Cannes, I hope.

Just found the floating city thing--pretty awesome idea.

We're silly to think they'd be employed for those in dire need of decent housing. My guess is they'd become the new "gated communities" of the world--with controlled access, security guards, & the world's wealthiest packing up like TV's Jefferson's & movin' on out to them...leaving all us garlic-eaters to fend for ourselves on actual land...

Consider these 'lily pads' a stepping stone between now & the day that the richest 1% moves to the moon or Mars...

I've not drank much good american beer...I'm sure theres some good stuff...however i'm positive theres some shit stuff...
There is an army of underground beers here in America that is secret. European tourists will never find them. They will get the Bud and the microbrews and the Guinessess. If you ever managed to get a real American beer from behind the plexiglass you'd shudder and reject it. Your system could not handle it. Maybe if you have a worthy american acquantance they can enlighten you. Be warned.

I'm quite sure there are many good american beers. believe me when i say i'm not trying to say ALL american beers are gammy...just the shit that were sold...

also, i hate to disagree, but my system has handled a good many of some of the finest beers in Europe (well at least Germany)... I'm not so sure i'd be rejecting outright the american stuff...maybe just sucking back another Paulaner?

also...i shall check out this "american culture" i hear so many speak of this year...i've been invited to a wedding of some sort...got me a smoke damaged suit from an arson-attacked menswear store and a plane ticket to chicago....then i go to kansas city...then i drink many,many things...then the bride and groom never speak to me again....

You win. Perhaps B&W, grainy. Out of focus most of the time. Original. And 32 cases of Johnny Walker Blue. No beer. No dogs. Just an endless supply of Marlboros. Sans filter. Or we can tear 'em off. When? Before Cannes, I hope.
bravo good sir...bravo....bring fifteen rolls of toilet paper and three ballpoint, inkjet, fountain pens... we shall have our own multi-faceted novella of epic and oblique proportions....*chunder*....get me my hat and poncho....

The floating cities will be to get away from the people who can't stay focused to the subject at hand. The selfish ones in their own little worlds floating in their own pools of drool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back