Timeline contributions

mjp

Keep my good eye on the beat
Founding member
Over 5000 posts
Looks like he was only in New Orleans for 15 days. Add another few days for train travel and he's probably still within what they would get for vacation time. I don't know what it was like in the 60s, but in general, Federal employees get a lot of holidays and vacation.

He could have also taken unpaid leave, or "sick" leave. Remember, his attendance (or non-attendance) at the job was always getting him in trouble.

Digney in Burnaby

donkeys live a long time
Over 1000 posts
Don't know about how much time they got then (early 1960s) or now. A quick look finds that JFK signed a bill allowing federal employees to have collective bargaining in 1962. They could not strike. A wildcat strike by postal workers in 1970 due to poor benefits and conditions. Apparently they weren't allowed to bargain collectively so maybe JFK's bill didn't apply. Nixon first brought in the military to try to break the strike and then wrote a reorganization bill for postal workers.

I wonder how much holiday time Bukowski had back in 1965 and if he didn't just book off sick.

roni

Over 5000 posts
[...] accrued [...]
btw.:
do we know how he managed this (supposed) taking off for a couple of weeks to beat the horses?

(ain't in the shape to look it all up now, but seem to recall, this period was not only in 'Post Office' but also mentioned in bios.)

roni

Over 5000 posts
out timeline says, when Hank moved within the DeLongpre-complex (from the back to the famous bungalow near the street), this were already without Frances and Marina. Sounes and Neeli say, they were with him in the bungalow at first. I find that believable:

- in a letter to Blazek (24-3-65 / 'Screams',p.136) it sounds as if they were still living together.
- the poem 'the new place' (WR #16 / 1964) also indicates that they may live together (the poem was written, while living on ground level, as was the previously mentioned letter)
- in letter to Blazek ("Sometime, 1965 / in 'Screams' between "Late May, 1965" and "June 2, 1965", p.159f): "... I must live with her because of the child ...".

have stumpled about a few more indications lately.
Just sayin'.

roni

Over 5000 posts
maybe I've just not seen them in the timeline, but I think these readings are missing:

St. Mark's Reading 2-3-72
Buk Troubadour 10-3-76

mjp

Founding member
Over 5000 posts
I won't have to read about that damn truck again.
I know it's been a couple of years, but I added the truck driving to the timeline, saying he probably drove for the post office.

I was in there because I was just re-reading the Jon Webb Jr. book for some reason, and in there Lou says he visited them in New Orleans during the printing of Outsider #1, which was news to me (and apparently all of his biographers). I don't see anything in letters from that time that says he's going to, or has just been to, New Orleans, so maybe Lou is remembering a different visit.

skiroomalum

Never been to Waffle House, never been to me...
Over 1000 posts
Might be like her memory meeting young Bobby Zimmerman in The Quarter. Although I think the timeline for that also wasn't right.

mjp

Founding member
Over 5000 posts
I think the timeline entry comes from a newspaper ad - but either date could be right or wrong, I suppose.

What I always wonder when I read that letter is what the "stirring and magic" thing was in the two weeks from June 27th...

roni

Over 5000 posts
Ah, so it wasn't Amber.
My memory is vanishing, esp concerning names & dates. Summer of 1975 seems to be the time he was with Pam, right?
So maybe a look into her bio may reveil, with whom he was cheating her at the time.