Typewriter vs Printer (1 Viewer)

zoom man

Founding member
When did he ditch the typewriter?,
In favor of the computer printer...

I've looked at the Typed manuscripts here
And can't see when the switch was

cirerita said:
wasn't it in 1991, when he got the Mac as a Xmas present?
Yes. This is part of the timeline that I'm working on (and that cirerita has contributed to). It's probably going to be the next addition to the site...

---

1/91 Bukowski switches from the IBM selectric to an Apple MacIntosh at the suggestion of Abandoned Planet bookstore owner Scott Harrison. In a letter to Scott a few months later he says he is writing three times more on his computer than he had on his typewriter: "For me, the computer is a total time saver, it lets you cut right to the business of getting it down and done so you can do some more. I love the fucking thing."

mjp said:
"For me, the computer is a total time saver, it lets you cut right to the business of getting it down and done so you can do some more. I love the fucking thing."

What a great quote,....
Thanks.
I've got 2 signed manuscripts from the printer,
(Dated '92)
Now want one from the typewriter,
And have the chance to buy one dated a little earlier
(from the same seller......)
But don't want to bring (or ask) this difference up with him.

Man, if you lurkers need any info,
Don't be shy->
Post it to the forum here!,
And get a straight answer...
Thanks guys!

I still think we should start an e-mail 'list' :rolleyes:
So so many quick questions
(Like mine here)
Don't warrant a new thread, etc.

mjp said:
Yes. This is part of the timeline that I'm working on (and that cirerita has contributed to). It's probably going to be the next addition to the site...

Jesus, looks like your timeline will be longer than mine. :eek:

Yes, it will be a combination of both. Formatting is the main issue at the moment. I should have it worked out pretty soon.

Aside from two typed letters from the 70s (which I haven't seen in years, now that I think of it...have to dig those out), I've got what I was told is an original fax sent by Hank to a book dealer. Did B. have a fax machine at his home? Or maybe he sent it from somewhere else? I haven't looked at that in years either. Can't recall the date on the fax, but it's late...maybe early 90s (Mental note: find this stuff.) Has anyone else seen Buk faxes?

David

Hi David,
Buk only faxed one poem EVER. That was the poem referred to as "my first fax poem". Actually titled #1. It remains unpublished. He faxed it to John Martin on February 18, 1994. He went into the hospital a couple days later and died 18 days after the fax was sent.

Seeing as he mentions that this was his first fax poem, in the poem, and then went to the hospital for the last time, I feel very confident that he only ever faxed one poem....

Unless someone has another that he sent later, although I doubt that a terminally ill Bukowski would have been submitting much to anyone at that point.

Best,
Bill

p.s. There is a thread on this poem from a month of so back....

The fax I have is a letter (I think), or some bit of business, not a poem. I'll have to check it for a date and report back...

David

Hi Bill

The faxed letter I have is dated 1/17/93, it's addressed to Ed Smith, editor of SURE, and is mostly a list of recent publications for the zine to announce, along with their addresses, all carefully (soberly) typed. It's on fax paper, signed in the original, which looks like computer printout. I got it directly from Smith. Anybody know if Hank had his own fax machine and when he got it?

David

HI David,
I had thought that Buk only had a fax machine for a VERY short time. If your date is correct, then he had it for at least a year. What confuses me about this is that he would have received the fax machine and then waited a year to send the first fax poem out? That was not like Bukowski.

I'm not sure if Linda still has the same fax number, so I don't want to give the number out, but are the last two fax numbers at the top of the page 96?

If not, then maybe he was using someone elses machine. The one that I have here clearly lists the fax number, date, time and BUKOWSKI.

I'm stumped....

Bill

Bill

There are NO numbers at the top...nothing. It looks like a low quality photocopy but it's on that shiny slick paper and torn off ragged at the top, like it was on a roll and ripped out of a machine. It was always my understanding that what I had was a fax (and the letter that accompanied it may have said as much), but maybe I'm wrong and it's just a photocopy of a letter. I probably still have Smith's letter transmitting the "fax" (a gift, not a purchase) somewhere, and if I hunted for hours I might even find it. Curious, huh?

David

"For me, the computer is a total time saver, it lets you cut right to the business of getting it down and done so you can do some more. I love the fucking thing."

Well then, it's reassuring in this age of techno marvels to know that he never abandoned his traditional beer and wine. ;-)

on first computer

a letter from reach for the sun
p.219 to Ivan Suvanjieff
says about first computer...
My wife got me one for xmas '90

There are NO numbers at the top...nothing. It looks like a low quality photocopy but it's on that shiny slick paper and torn off ragged at the top, like it was on a roll and ripped out of a machine. It was always my understanding that what I had was a fax (and the letter that accompanied it may have said as much), but maybe I'm wrong and it's just a photocopy of a letter. I probably still have Smith's letter transmitting the "fax" (a gift, not a purchase) somewhere, and if I hunted for hours I might even find it. Curious, huh?

Hi David,

I'm curious indeed :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back