US Stamp to Honor Bukowski (1 Viewer)

You can customize stamps at the USPO site. Here's a quick one. Go for it.

Attachments

• Bukowski First Class stamp.jpg
    Bukowski First Class stamp.jpg
    931.1 KB · Views: 251
The will not allow any people of any celebrity on these stamps. If you want to get Bukowski stamps through, you need to sneak them in. Use a photo from his wedding, or late in life, but not easily recognized. I had a friend get rejected a bunch of times until he was able to sneak one thru.

Imagine if they let anyone on US postal stamps. People would put Ted Bundy, Hitler, Manson on them.

This is what you CANNOT do, per the website:

To upload, order for print, or otherwise transmit or communicate any material that depicts celebrities or celebrity likenesses, regional, national or international leaders or politicians, current or former world leaders, convicted criminals, newsworthy, notorious or infamous images and individuals, or any material that is vintage in appearance or depicts images from an older era;

BIll

for xmas, i had my cat put on a stamp and gave them to family and friends...

Attachments

• ScannedImage-7.jpg
    ScannedImage-7.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 317
Interesting! I did think about how terrorists, manson etc. would be fowl. I just mentioned it but did not know specifics. Saw the post and had some time to kill so I made a quick rendering just for a smile.

(Old forum attachment ID is incorrect, see thumbnails.)

This looks like a cat I had in the seventies his name was George and I would have put him on a stamp too.

Imagine the opportunities!

Once the stamps are obsolete and sold out, they will go for a few bucks each! Then we can all take envelopes full of them on our bus tours and sell them when our bus tour stops at DeLongpre.

Hammer it down, postal service! I'm on my way to easy street!

That web site froze up my internet connection with a little pop up. They need 9400 signatures in 4 days.

I wonder why that tour comapany didn't just offer this straight to us like they use to.:rolleyes:

There're a bunch of people out there doing business with Buk who SUCK, but I like the idea of a stamp, no matter who invented the petition. (haven't even bothered to read through that webpage)

I'd rather lick a Bukowski-stamp than the tower of Pisa or the stars+stripes or a goddam baseball-star. But then: I won't have to handle any US-stamp anyway, so what do I know.

Trust me on this, the U.S. Postal Service is never, ever going to issue a Bukowski stamp. Ever. Not next year or a hundred years from now (unless we are living in Mad Max days by then and the postal service is run by one of our mongrel descendants). Not if they get 10 million signatures and file ten million government forms. He is a fringe figure of very marginal "fame," and the USPS put faces and pictures on stamps that will make them money (see the Simpsons stamps, and stamps featuring old black and white TV shows). Mass appeal.

Maybe a Poet Laureates of Skid Row series. ;) But not just Bukowski, on his own, with his fucked up face smirking out at you.

But, you know, I'll buy some if they do.

[...] the U.S. Postal Service is never, ever going to issue a Bukowski stamp. Ever. Not next year or a hundred years from now [...]

I guess that's what people in Austria felt about Georg Trakl 20 or even 40 years after his death.
It did happen. There is hope. (not for mankind, of course! Just for this particular reason.)

Well I suppose anything is possible. But if you look at most U.S. stamps, they aren't exactly celebrating the underdog. Or people who wrote books with titles like Notes of a Dirty Old Man.

If they ever do publish a Bukowski stamp, it would probably be some weird denomination like $0.74 that you had to special order from Washington D.C. in rolls of 5000.

Of course it should be a $2 stamp...

attachment.php

Attachments

• dvd-two-dollar-bettor.jpg
    dvd-two-dollar-bettor.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 290
I'm not sure about the official 'value' of this maybe-upcoming-stamp.
If the 'value' would be set to be not very useful for most postal purposes, I wouldn't care that much:
It's Not what this Is about.

What I wanted to proof with the Trakl-comparison is exactly what you denied with your answer:
the Austrian state is also not very famous for liberal thoughts or free-giving of credits in the form of stamps (or anything).

But - Finally - they DID and felt they HAD to give Trakl this credit.

And methinks Bukowski does deserve a stamp and SURE will get one.
Someday.
But I'd prefer this 'someday' to be sooner than later.
I'd like to see that day and celebrate it.

Maybe the Germans will issue a Bukowski stamp one day. After all, Buk was born in Germany and Germany is probably the country where his popularity is the biggest.
The German Buk-Society will of course have to bring it to the postal authorities attention. ;)

Is Buk really that popular in Germany? I would never have guessed that his popularity was as it is here in the states.

Yes, maybe in Germany where people are not so upset by dirty words. Here, in the US, you can show the dead at Jonestown, but are not allowed to show a little bit of titty on the TV. The US Government would never put anyone on a stamp that could cause controversy. There are the hardcore Bukowski fans that would love the idea, but there would be many, many people, including nutjobs like the Christian Right wingers that would make the thing an issue and would kill it. The Citizen Stamp Advisory Committee knows this and would never take a chance. Frankly, I'm surprised that they had the balls to out out the Simpsons, seeing as they are hated by the very religious for their "blue" humor and their mocking of evangelical Christians...

They had better be quick about it... the world is scheduled to end at the end of 2012, or so I've heard.
The wacko Harold Camping is convinced that the Rapture will take place on 10/21/2011, so that is the date. I'm not sure what excuse he'll give when the day passes and they are all still here. He has a large following (He owns Family Radio), so expect a decent amount of people that will be heartbroken when they are not raptured on that day. Of course, It would be a lot more fun around here with them gone, so there is that hope...

Bill

Frankly, I'm surprised that they had the balls to out out the Simpsons...
$$$

I'm not sure what excuse he'll give when the day passes and they are all still here.
The same excuse they used when there was no armageddon on "Y2K."

Having their prophecies go unfulfilled is not a problem for those types. It doesn't faze them - or their followers - a bit.

You know, that is one of the things that always bothered me most about those kind of radicals. They could predict something, shout out some random prophecies and when they don't come true they go right on spewing their beliefs. But, prior to my long run-on sentence, what I was trying to say was.... What bothers me MORE than that is their followers/believers keep on believing as well. Like you said, it doesn't faze them one bit, even when you smack the proof of their false prophecy in their face!

That's the cult mindset. Once you have convinced someone that you are infallible they will rationalize your shortcomings and actually turn your failures into successes, no matter how convoluted a thought process is required.

It's really quite amazing and quite consistent across people from every strata of society. It works the same way regardless of the flavor of the cult (because all cults are the same); Manson, Moonies, Jonestown, Scientology, Republicans...

The wacko Harold Camping is convinced that the Rapture will take place on 10/21/2011, so that is the date.

The last time Jehova's Witnesses were stupid enough to put a date on it back in the 70's (they have since stopped putting a date on it. After having predicted it several times without success they finally wised up), lots of them starting buying stuff on credit. Since the earth was about to go under they did'nt really cheat anybody, or so they thought. :rolleyes:
A child in a Jehova's witness' family needed an operation in order not to become an invalid for life, but why waste money on an operation when the earth is going under. Today the kid is an invalid. Hallelujah! Praise the Lord!

Is Buk really that popular in Germany? I would never have guessed that his popularity was as it is here in the states.

I think Germany is one of the countries where Buk's popularity is greatest. About 1200 people attended his reading in Hamburg and several hundreds more was turned away. Germany is also the only country with a Buk-society as far as I know, and I believe they've translated more Buk books than most countries. Maybe Roni can tell us more about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back