Vancouver reading (2 Viewers)

Maybe they were open reel...I can't find a 1" Sony cassette-based video tape, but a few 1" open reel that would have been around at the time. I'll ask Dennis again what the hell they were.
hmm...i might be able to add to this. i am an editor. i have been working in vancouver for 35 years cutting tape for tv. one inch sony tape in cassette, was the format for all broadcasters used 35 years ago. we all cut with this format. we went from the beta format to 3/4 which looked even bigger to my eyes. it will do no good going to the uk unless they can transfer it to the pal format easily. but people are very right about preserving this soon. sometimes this tape just dissolves after so many years. it stinks too. that is the first sign that it is falling apart. you open the tape box and you nearly faint with the chemically crazy reek that comes out. film is still the most lasting format. if it can be transferred to film and a digital format too, that is best idea. do both if you can. actually if that is a freeze frame from the tape above, it looks pretty good. sony beta was the best. that broadcast size was better than the homevideo beta mode too.
i also know who some of the folks are that organized that show here in vancouver. the ones that are still living might know more. i will put some feelers out.

i also know who some of the folks are that organized that show here in vancouver. the ones that are still living might know more. i will put some feelers out.
There's nothing to feel out, really. A digital transfer of the whole tape was made. It's safe. You might note that it's been out on DVD for a while...hence the thread.

Heh I'd still like to stick the tapes on that shelf :D

the dvd is incredible! having worked in video for years, i am amazed with the quality of the final product. 200 lines of resolution at best in 1979.

I was distracted and infuriated while watching it - I now fully understand Bukowski and his dislike for public reading and his audience. The culmination, for me wasn't just those two hecklers he confronted, but the entire audience while reading the "alien" one of his most touching poems. They needed the 'blueprint 'on when to laugh. Pathetic.
My wife thinks I was too hard on them "...they were kids," she said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back