What catch phrases do you detest? (1 Viewer)

F

futureactor

My Bad.

Also I overheard someone my age (36) saying "That's the best thing since sliced bread." C'mon. I can't remember when there wasn't sliced bread.

Also I overheard someone my age (36) saying "That's the best thing since sliced bread." C'mon. I can't remember when there wasn't sliced bread.

If you have ever had to cut a loaf of bread you would understand why sliced bread is the best thing. The stuff never cuts right and if your knife is just a little dull then you end up making flat bread which you might use for a pizza.

"Thats Hot" and "you know, you know" also are favorites but why?

Yeah but when was sliced bread invented? The 1930's? People use these terms and don't even know what they mean.

The saying is older than Dick Clark. (that's my new saying by the way)

what about you futureactor?
Do you what "go the whole 9 yards" 'means'?
or "above board"?
or "cold turkey" or "steal my thunder"?
or any one of the idioms and expressions you use in day to day speech?

English is - if any one thing - a set of conventions.
Not having a go at you, but one does not need to know the origins or original meanings of expressions to use them... but it is fun sometimes.

Yeah but when was sliced bread invented? The 1930's?
Why would you say the 30's if you didn't know it was the 30's, and if you did know it was the 30's, why would you pretend to be guessing?

I smell bullshit in every one of your posts. You're either running some sort of game to amuse yourself or really are just a knucklehead. Either way, I'm having trouble embracing your idiocy.

Maybe I'm just an asshole, that's also a possibility.

Why would you say the 30's if you didn't know it was the 30's, and if you did know it was the 30's, why would you pretend to be guessing?

I smell bullshit in every one of your posts. You're either running some sort of game to amuse yourself or really are just a knucklehead. Either way, I'm having trouble embracing your idiocy.

Maybe I'm just an asshole, that's also a possibility.

I guess I'm just a little cynical in my old age. I guess I am a bit of a knucklehead or Philistine, but I have lived life, not learned how to live it from a book.
You know, I think the first Bukowski book I will buy is Factotum, because the Tagline fit me perfectly.

Old Age? You say.
Well I'm 36 and I do feel old in someways when "Back in the day" (there's another catch phrase for ya) means 6 months ago, and Pearl Jam is considered "retro".

I want to get into reading, and Bukowski seems right up my alley. I don't think I deserve any of your literary respect, I will probably never be on any of your levels because I am getting such a late start in life with the reading. Excuse me for actually living the first 20 years of adulthood.

I guess I am a bit of a knucklehead or Philistine, but I have lived life, not learned how to live it from a book.
That kind of lashing out is not going to get you far. You don't know anything about anyone here, so coming in and saying you've lived because you came to LA for a week and took drugs is laughable. Or because you sat in Michigan and took drugs - wherever you took drugs, no one gives a shit.

I don't think you're a "knucklehead or Philistine," I think you're doing a lot of pretending and it's boring.

If you have ever had to cut a loaf of bread you would understand why sliced bread is the best thing. The stuff never cuts right and if your knife is just a little dull then you end up making flat bread which you might use for a pizza.

"Thats Hot" and "you know, you know" also are favorites but why?

hahahhahhaha

i'm guilty of saying "like" CONSTANTLY. i don't know where i picked it up from, but i noticed recently how excessively i use it, so i'm consciously trying to stop. i was talking to a friend on the phone and noticed how often she used it, and how BAD it sounded.

my household had this conversation the other day, and our most loathed phrases were "as you do", and "sweet as". my best friend says "not my cup of chai" as a *modern* alternative to "not my cup of tea", which really grates on my nerves.

It's funny about speech patterns. I remember "like" being around a long time. I think it probably goes back as far as the 1940s with jazz musicians. For example, "Like, wow, man, he's a groovy player," and so on. It's a word that's supposed to be used to draw a comparison but the comparison is sometimes dropped off entirely, like, you know what I mean? lol.

I have a very good friend (who is quite a bit younger than I) who used to say 'like' as every third word or so.
I 'cured' him by saying 'like' every single time he did.
Of course, he almost never got to finish a sentence.
He got sick of that pretty damn fast and dropped the 'like'.

He hated me for it at the time but thanked me later.
Like you Rubyred, he started to hear his friends non-stop use and it drove him mad.

like.

don't dis "like"! haha. that's not very funny, is it...

"dis." ugh! i dislike the phrase, "get a life." i wonder why? "oh, my life doesn't fulfil your criteria of a meaningful, exuberant or full life? that's a coincedence!"

The Donald Rumsfeld Interview Hi-Jack :

Q : DID YOU HAVE PANCAKES TODAY ?

A : I had pancakes this morning. Does this mean I regret breakfast ? Perhaps. Would I order differently next time. I think so. Am I simultaneously responding to and avoiding your questions ? Of course. But that doesn't mean our nation needs to change menus now.

(Sadly, it's not just Rumsfeld these days - many many more.........)

don't dis "like"! haha. that's not very funny, is it...

"dis." ugh! i dislike the phrase, "get a life." i wonder why? "oh, my life doesn't fulfil your criteria of a meaningful, exuberant or full life? that's a coincedence!"

I hate that one too! Can't think of another phrase I hate more. It's just so condescending...

Last edited by a moderator:
I dislike the repetition of the expression "you know what I'm sayin'?"

Makes the listener feel like a retarded seal chasing parked cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back