what does this bukowski quote mean to you? (1 Viewer)

haha, im just curious.

"the way to create art is to burn and destroy
ordinary concepts and to substitute them with new truths
that run down from the top of the head
and out from the heart."
:)

You quoted something that seems like a literal statement. It's not exactly open to interpretation. It's like showing a picture of a penguin and asking people what they think it is.

It's like showing a picture of a penguin and asking people what they think it is.

Interesting question.

It is generally accepted that there are 16 different species of penguin. However, the figure has always been and still is very controversial. As a safe measure, most literature lists it as varying between 16 and 19 species.

The debate surrounds three penguins. The first is The White-Flipped Penguin is sometimes thought to be a subspecies of the Penguin; the second is the Royal Penguin is considered to be a color morph of the Macaroni penguin and the third is the Rock hopper penguins which could be a separate species.

A penguin is a penguin, however you look at it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• penguin1966.jpg
    penguin1966.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 612
it's about obliterating penguins and replacing them with truths that come from your brains juice and your coronary artery, right?

meaning? haha

'i have seen the red rose burning, and this means more.'

i know what it means to me, i just want to know if im interpreting it right.
what do you guys think?

:)
and best quote of his :D

Okay, so this one is 'on the fire suicides of the buddhists' from 'The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over The Hills'...

Please, tell us what it means to you...

i know what it means to me, i just want to know if im interpreting it right.
Someone - or a lot of someones - agreeing with your interpretation doesn't make it correct. Poetry is art, not science. You'd be better off asking yourself how these lines make you feel. That's more important than what they mean or don't mean.

Poetry (and art and comedy) is like science in one way: in order for scientists to examine some living things, they often have to kill them first. You know, in order to slice it thin enough to fit under the microscope. Or the living things die very quickly as a result of their unfortunate interaction with the scientist. When academics deconstruct poetry or art they also kill it by imposing their rules and definitions onto it, and making you think about their analysis rather than having an emotional reaction to the work.

Just my take as a non-scientist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back