"what was wrong was never understood"..Where is that quote from? (1 Viewer)

nervas

more crickets than friends
Hey LickTheStar, the quote:
what was wrong was never understood and what was right never lasted...

I love that quote so much I can't get over it. Is it from a poem, story or a letter or something?

Thanks...

Good question. Sofia Coppola made a short film in 1998 called Lick the Star and it's used as a code name for the plot in that, but I don't know if she originated the expression.

Crap. Its in one of the poems in the Manuscripts, but I forgot to note which one (d'oh!).

Lemme figure it out, I'll be back in a second.

(thou socratease is right about my user name as well).

what was wrong was never understood and what was right never lasted...
I love that quote so much I can't get over it. Is it from a poem, story or a letter or something?

It was from the poem 3 pairs of panties collected in what I believe to be BSP's final full book of Bukowski poetry (correct me if I'm wrong) The Night Torn Mad With Footsteps.

That is awesome. Of course I have the book, but didn't remember that poem, now it's forever one of my favorites! Thanks so much!

bukowski's poetry has that effect... it runs together so much that little dots here and there jump out at you from time to time and bowl you over like they never had before. i've never found poetry that rewards repeated reading as much as his. i'm starting to understand mjp's thing about liking poetry over the novels... they're fun to read, but they don't have the depth of the poetry (or even, dare i say, some of the short stories).

Does anyone know where the line...
"What was wrong was never understood and what was right never lasted"
comes from?

I want to get it tattooed but want to make sure it was actually said by Buk and were it came from...

Thanks all...

Moved to the thread with the answer: See LickTheStar's post (#3) above.

I want to get it tattooed...
I have wanted a tattoo all my life. Still never had the cajones to do it. When I originally asked where the quote came from, that was my same reason for asking. thought it would make a cool tattoo. I chickened out in the end. But someday, someday I tell ya, i'll add something to the bukowski tattoo thread!

But as for now, I think it would still give my 53 year old mama a heart attack, well that and an earing, a mohawk or any other thing I once dreamed of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back