what's your favourite city in the world, and why? (1 Viewer)

I went to Syndney a couple years ago, and I loved it. The Opera House, the Harbour Bridge (I think that's how they spell it... harbo'u'r). The whole damn place was great!

Las Vegas use to be, but it's so crowded now, too much traffic, Smog, Crime, Psuedo High Rollers, No more deals, Every hotel thinks they are an Empire now, traffic, It use to have some class, but now it's like a movie set.

I haven't travelled much, but I love Montreal. great jazz festival, great food and European atmoshere.
drinks are pricey, though.
oh, and strippers. lots of them.

Wellington, the capital of New Zealand... but i've lived here for almost 10yrs, and haven't travelled :o

it's compact, hilly, full of Victorian architecture and weird little streets. i live on a beautiful rural-looking road which is a 15min walk from the central city. it's a steep-sided valley, narrow windy road, lots of quaint century-old houses with gorgeous overrun gardens and rickety picket fences...
there's a nice artsy bohemian feel to this town... and lots of cool bars and cafes and galleries... and lots of 2nd hand bookstores... (and the library's pretty good too, Poptop)

i highly recommend it

we have to large couches and a double bed to spare if anyone's thinking of visiting ;)

Lego City. So colourful and always changing
imgres

Ah, so you are into Lego. Then you should come to Denmark and visit Lego's themepark called Legoland. It's very big and very popular. I believe Lego are building Legolands around the world, in the same manner as Disney have Disneyland all over...

Last edited by a moderator:
Amsterdam. Beautiful buildings, Beautiful tree lined canals all over, extremely friendly and relaxed atmosphere. Oh, I almost forgot - nice coffee shops...;)

i was in amsterdam for only a short time
what i saw of it was beautiful
i love the contrast between
the new and the old architecture

legoland is in s.d. too
a fascinating place

kathmandu was my favorite
based solely on it's proximity to the himalaya

and bangkok a close second
so exotic and foreign
very friendly people
and the food was....thai :D

I was more into the old architecture in the center of Amsterdam. It's like being back in 17th century...

Legoland is also in San Diego? - Well, that figures...

I've never been to the far east, but I would like to see Bangkok now that air fares to Thailand are relatively cheap. Kathmandu most have been exiting. I've heard a lot about it, way back in my hippie days...So far I have'nt been south of Prague, which also have a lot of old architecture and is a beautiful city too...

I second Bangkok as a great city. When I was there the first thing that struck me was the smells... frying fish one moment, raw sewage the next, then incense, diesel fumes, noodles... and the food from the street vendors was incredible. You haven't lived until you've seen one of the sex shows on Patpong Road. A fucking incredible place.

the smells... frying fish one moment, raw sewage the next, then incense, diesel fumes, noodles... and the food from the street vendors was incredible.

sounds - smells like Camden Town (North London) around the Lock in summertime. I found Paris less claustrophobic than London. shame they don't serve beer in pint glasses.

New Orleans. My wife and I had our honeymoon there. It was weird hearing the locals joke about the big hurricane that would eventually come, who knew it would be 3 weeks later. My foundest memory of that city would have to be drinking $1.09 cans of Steel Reserve with a homelss guy at 8:00 in the morning.

Wellington, the capital of New Zealand... but i've lived here for almost 10yrs, and haven't travelled :o

it's compact, hilly, full of Victorian architecture and weird little streets. i live on a beautiful rural-looking road which is a 15min walk from the central city. it's a steep-sided valley, narrow windy road, lots of quaint century-old houses with gorgeous overrun gardens and rickety picket fences...
there's a nice artsy bohemian feel to this town... and lots of cool bars and cafes and galleries... and lots of 2nd hand bookstores... (and the library's pretty good too, Poptop)

i highly recommend it

we have to large couches and a double bed to spare if anyone's thinking of visiting ;)

An inviting description of the place.

Libraries? I've sworn them off and replaced them with the underground bordellos and opium dens here in Sedona. It's Poe-like even without the pit and the pendulum if one knows where to look. ;-) "”Poptop.

pop farnsworth ,

thanks for your memory. i was down there around halloween - one year after the storm visiting friends. it was my fourth visit over the years. things had obviously changed but over-all the people seemed to be doing pretty good under the insane circumstances. life will go on.

paul

got my ticket already.
will arrive tomorrow morning. can you pick me up at the airport?

Bangkok ... When I was there the first thing that struck me was the smells... [...] A fucking incredible place.

yes, the smells are striking. every two meters another smell. and not only nice ones.

it IS an incedible place. but for me it was a little too disturbing. (but i only was there the day after arrival and the one before departure.) my stay was on two very small islands close to the Birma-border in the Andaman sea. Not the party-islands, but really RELAXING, quiet, calm places:

0280_roni2.jpg

maybe the most beautiful city I've ever been to, is PARIS.

but of course, my all-time-favorite is Bamberg where i live.

but of course, my all-time-favorite is Bamberg where i live.

I checked out the link. Bamberg looks like an interesting town to visit with all it's medevil buildings, forts and history in general...

So far... Portland OR. Big city with a small town feel. I can walk around most places and feel safe. Which is saying something for me, being from a VERY small town.

What happened to your feet in KO CHANG?
Man, if I had a dollar for every time I heard that question...

To answer the question, that's easy; Los Angeles. I've been to every state but Alaska and Hawaii, spent a lot of time in the Midwest, New York, Northern California, Texas --- Mexico, Canada, Nova Scotia (wait, that's still Canada, eh?), Europe and North Africa (including a brief, hey-you-know-you-could-have-been-arrested! stroll on Libyan soil), but there's nothing like coming in low over Inglewood and Westchester and touching down at LAX (or over Bellflower and Lakewood to the Long Beach airport, or for that matter, over a whole lot of nothing into Burbank airport - any one will do).

i've never been much of anywhere. up as far as seattle, down as far as mexico but never spent much time anywhere on the way down there. wasn't very impressed with L.A. it tasted funny. i'm not very fond of arizona cause it's so dry. vegas was fun but i wouldn't want to live there.

i was born in portland and i'm very happy with here as a place to live. perhaps a little heavy on the hipster ratio and politically correct ratio sometimes... but a beautiful clean city with a lot of charm.

Ahhh. The picture is a link which you may click, and leads to more pictures.

What happened to your feet in KO CHANG ?

these weren't MY feet.
on the pic before that, you see the girl, it happened to: she was walking into a sea urchin.

this guy you see treating her, just dripped the juice of lemons on her foot and the pieces started to come out. it was amzing to watch. that's why i photographed it.

Bamberg looks like an interesting town to visit with all it's medevil buildings, forts and history in general...

it Is interesting.

the point is, we were lucky in being not bombed too much, so the whole medieval AND baroque structure of the city survived.
if one is interested in art-history (what's the right word?) and architecture, he/she will be more than pleased by this city.

if not:
you may enjoy the beer. Bamberg people like to consider their town (and the surrounding) to be the 'world-capital' of beer. We have ca. 6 or 7 breweries in a town of only 70,000 people and literally EVERY village surrounding it has at least one brewery too.

and if you're not into beer (like me), you could still like it:
because it is quiet. nothing EVER happenes here. if the world will go down some day - come to Bamberg: everything happens 20 years later here.
people just have the mentality to sit down and drink and wait.

you could call it kinda dullness, though touristic-books like to use the euphemism 'coziness' for it.

If I had to pick one.....San Diego.
I want to go to about 20 or 30 other palces. That would be a good thread: cities you haven't seen or haven't seen enough of, but would like to visit. Like Katmandu Nepal or Amsterdam.

I would say San Francisco & New York are the two cities you should see in USA. But Memphis is a great little city, too.

Right now I'm in love with my new home-Sacramento, so that's the pick from me.

I would say San Francisco & New York are the two cities you should see in USA. But Memphis is a great little city, too.

Right now I'm in love with my new home-Sacramento, so that's the pick from me.

You are a smart dog. Sacramento had a great old town- at least in the 70s. Very good fishing too.
Not too many people appreciate what they have right in front of their noses.

OT question, do you remember what venue you played in Halifax?
I wasn't in Halifax for music, I was there on a film shoot in the mid-90's (The Scarlet Letter). Actually it was filmed in Shelburne and Yarmouth and something-River (sorry, it's on the tip of my brain, but can't find it). Only visited Halifax for a day or two. I really liked Nova Scotia though.

Speaking of the northern reaches of Canada, I was also on Baffin Island for a few hours when a plane I was on stopped to refuel or pick up passengers or something. But that place was awe-inspiring. The middle of nowhere, which is a good thing in my book.

If I had to pick one.....San Diego.
Of all the cities in California, San Diego has to be the most...I don't even know how to describe it. It just feels like a corporation built the place. Lifeless. I don't know, man. Gah. Nice zoo though. ;)

--

Ah, hooch, I was thinking of Campbell River, which is on the other side of the country in Vancouver Island, B.C. Never mind.

Of all the cities in California, San Diego has to be the most...I don't even know how to describe it. It just feels like a corporation built the place. Lifeless. I don't know, man. Gah. Nice zoo though.

Yes I see your point. I have never spent much time in downtown. The museums and Coronado- another city, all around San Diego.
I heard a radio talk show one very early Sunday morning that the psychics or mystics or whatever they were kept referring to San Diego as "A very spiritual place". That might not be a good thing but I like the area.
Nice Gaslamp District.;)

I wasn't in Halifax for music, I was there on a film shoot in the mid-90's (The Scarlet Letter). Actually it was filmed in Shelburne and Yarmouth and something-River (sorry, it's on the tip of my brain, but can't find it). Only visited Halifax for a day or two. I really liked Nova Scotia though.

right, The Scarlet Letter is the movie that started all the filming here in Nova Scotia. Titanic was soon after. and others followed. but our dollar is fairly strong now in comparison, so production has slowed down.
won't see Tom Selleck here again anytime soon (he was here for a made for tv thing).....
ah well, maybe I'll grow my own moustache.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back