Where was this from? Story excerpt & poem line (1 Viewer)

I read this a while ago and I totally forgot where this is from.
"what was wrong was never
understood
and what was right never
lasted"

ALSO, there's this quote.."dont think, just do." its from this:
in poker, there's this concept called pot odds which means knowing if what you're risking is worth what you're potentially going to win. given the variables of what you know, what you think you know, and what you can potentially get, there's a precise mathematics that can actually dictate when you're supposed to call, raise, or fold.
for the longest time, i have tried my best to practice this concept, not only when playing cards but basically for every decisions i make in life(at least for those that mattered). for the most part it works (i.e. career, money, yes even for gambling itself). but no matter how you put your odds stacked in your favor, there's always a chance you'll lose... i can bear with that.
as long as i know that my decision is a result of a calculated risk... i can bear with that... regardless of the result.
lately however i am learning that the concept doesn't apply to everything. i am learning that for some cases... the more i think, the more i calculate the risks, the less i appreciate what's happening in front of me and what could potentially come out of it. that should no longer be the case.

where is that story excerpt from? I read a lot of his books, but I don't recall that...I probably forgot it but which book? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
are you sure? somebody quoted that from him, and it does sound like something he would write. i guess you're probably right though; as he betted on horses rather than played poker..

I am sure.

The other quote is from 3 pairs of panties. It's in the night torn mad with footsteps.

[...]
what was wrong was not
understood
and what was right didn't
last.

- - -

edit:
The original version of the lines (from the manuscript) are different (as is to be expected at this point):

what was wrong was never
understood
and what was right never
lasted.

Last edited:
Oh, he played poker (or at least some form of card betting) also; you can read about it in a few stories. One that comes to mind is the time he was playing cards, stashed a bunch of 10s and 20s in his closet along the way, got into a fight with some guy and woke up on the floor next morning and looked in his closet, expecting to have been rolled, and the money was lying there just as he left it.

That said, mjp is right about the rest. I'm not sure I need to state that, but it seems like the right thing to do.

Oh, he played poker (or at least some form of card betting).......... One that comes to mind is the time he was playing cards, stashed a bunch of 10s and 20s in his closet along the way, got into a fight with some guy and woke up on the floor next morning and looked in his closet, expecting to have been rolled, and the money was lying there just as he left it.

Yeah. Near the end of Ham on Rye - played poker.

I'm sure he did play poker. But he didn't write like that. And by "like that," I mean, of course, like crap. I'm pretty sure we can all bear with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back