Who do you write like? (1 Viewer)

I tried 3 paragraphs from 3 different stories and got james joyce and david foster wallace twice.

never would have picked those.

I wrote three lines and got Raymond Chandler - Ha!

Then I copied and pasted a couple of paragraphs from a Bukowski short story - and still got Raymond Chandler!

Well, that's just a link farm to make a few pennies off of your clicks, but it did prove that the bible is science fiction. I plugged in Romans 12 (full of stuff like; "Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath; for it is written: 'Vengeance is Mine; I will repay,saith the Lord.'") and it said it was like H. P. Lovecraft.

This was on NPR about half an hour ago. Stephen King and David Foster Wallace came up. The guy who did the algorithms indicated that he needs to post many more examples of various writings to get the results more refined/accurate.

I'll say; I got James Joyce.

Edited to add: Lovecraft came up on NPR too. There must only be a handful of writers in there.

I would like to see the code for that. Whoever wrote it can talk about algorithms all they want, but there are only a few ways to compare data, and that's all they are doing. It could never analyze writing style. It's a toy that only exists to show you links to buy shit.

The famous Dutch poet? You lucky son of a gun! If you keep it up, you might become the next Jan Hallers! ;)
Any relation of Harry Haller, the Steppenwolf?

H.P. Lovecraft, twice. Jeez!
The third time Stephen King.
And Ponder's words came up as Raymond Chandler.
It seems that it's all they've got.
Bukowski came up as David Foster Wallace.

I also typed in "hot stinking glorious beer shit" and got Chuck Palahniuk. Not sure if that's a commentary on Buk or Chuck.

An mjp, you're right; at least for now. Theoretically, if you could enter millions of paragraphs, or billions of sentences, you might be able to get past the "these words are next to each other or this writer used this word twice" concept, so you write like Truman Capote.

The NPR hosts politely panned it (another day that ends in "y"), and the guy who created it sounded like he was from Bulgaria.

I would like to see the code for that. Whoever wrote it can talk about algorithms all they want, but there are only a few ways to compare data, and that's all they are doing. It could never analyze writing style. It's a toy that only exists to show you links to buy shit.

perhaps the code is just 'int rand ( int $min , int $max )' and a number of names, not even a database ;)

Right! It's probably just some random names of authors popping up.

Last edited by a moderator:
hell, I just copied and pasted the words above the search box on they're own page and it came back h.p. lovecraft. I'm sure MJP is right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back