Wish the posthumous books listed the poem year (1 Viewer)

ROC

It is what it is
Slightly off topic - but I really wish all these posthumous collections had dates - at least a year - for each poem.
I was reading the people look like flowers last night and the question "when was this one written' popped into my head with every poem I read.
This work needs to be done eventually... an index of all published poems, their year of publication and the year they were written.

Last edited by a moderator:
yea i think an updated database is gonna blow us away
even if we have to wait , like an animal clear until the reptile age of 2525.

Ooo, sorry mjp, I was not pushing you on the data-base thing. I meant in book form so sad, pedantic nerds like me can pour over the minutia of all things Bukowskji
(I accidentally hit the 'j' and liked the look of it)

I think cirerita is about as close to a first publication date guru as you'll find. Maybe one day we join forces and take over world! Annihilate moose and squirrel!

As far as date writen, wouldn't that be near impossible? John Martin would have the best idea of a date on what he has published, but many poems that he has in his files may have been there since 1973, 1983, 1993....

Unless the poem had a first publication in a magazine, it seems that it would almost be a guess as to when it was written. You can estimate a "latest it could have been written" date, but cannot tell how long it sat with Bukowski or John Martin before it was published for the first time. Bukowski did not sign most of the manuscipt copies that he sent to John Martin for publication and many of the poems went straing to BSP without going to the littles first.

Although it seems like a great idea, that seems like it could be a project that could take years of intense research and then would be so untrustworthy that it would not be effective.

Some poems we know are early from the fact that it was published early, but using a "Jane" poem as an example, some of them could have been written at any time. Am I looking at this wrong?

Bill

As far as date writen, wouldn't that be near impossible?
But didnt Bukowski sign each poem and date it?

Oh, and as for my favorite Bukowski book...Run with the Hunted. The anthology. I think that the editing was spot on and really gave you a fare insight into bukowski.
Damn, it's f@#kin hard to pick one.

As far as date writen, wouldn't that be near impossible? John Martin would have the best idea of a date on what he has published, but many poems that he has in his files may have been there since 1973, 1983, 1993...
Didn't most of the poems in the BS books appear in magazines first? I don't think it would be too difficult to do a date association with the poems.

I mean, shit, it would be very difficult, but I think it's also very possible.

Did any poems appear in BS collections without appearing in a mag first?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back