WR #104--Bona Fides? (1 Viewer)

IMG_4289.PNG

I paid $100 for it. I think it's real too, but one of those sigs that drive me crazy. But only a genius(!) would be so cunning as to counterfeit such a random item.....right? I thank you for your opinion and Dr. Gray for the diagnosis.

Maybe one can pull in more $$$ and create less suspicion on nickel and dime items ($100) versus some of the heavy hitters? I don't know.

ESPN did a 30 for 30 on a counterfeiting ring that was operating during the McGwire-Sosa home run battle in the late 90s. There was a guy working for the ring who could sign virtually anybody's name, perfectly, on nearly any surface. You had athletes who were looking at their own forged sigs and they couldn't tell the difference.

They took new baseballs and dipped them in some kind of colored lacquer and then rolled them in a dirt mix to make them look game-worn from the 30s and 40s. I think they even got into creating a fictitious company issuing certificates of authenticity.

The Counterfeiter

Note: I do not think a $100 item is a true nickel and dimer. Just want to clarify...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back