Bukowski tattoos (3 Viewers)

I need a good picture for a tattoo

I already have the back cover Crumb drawing from The Captain...

http://myspace-466.vo.llnwd.net/00966/66/49/966369466_l.jpg

But now I'm looking for another...someone suggested I do his signature and classic drawing of the alcohol jug, which I think sounds good but I would like to have the best possible image to have this done.

Any links to a good picture of the classic Buk signature with the drunk guy?

thanks

Every drawing is different, so you'd have to just find one that you like. Search Google images for Bukowski and you'll find some.

Or you could just copy this masterpiece:

ouch.jpg

lol...is it just me or does anybody else find it kinda silly/nerdy to get a writers face tattood on yourself? ...LOL, don't get me wrong, i've even thought of this but i just dunno anymore.

but, i must say, xxedgexx, yours looks mighty fine. how much did that thing run you? probably a pretty penny, huh. nice ink though. i'm quite envious

I'm really some what obsessed with Bukowski at the moment, so the tat doesn't seem silly...right now...who knows what I'll think after some time but I don't know what I would learn at this point that would turn me off to his writing.

I believe it was around $120 bucks. I got it on upper Haight in San Francisco.

One thing I have yet to be able to find is any San Francisco addresses associated with Buk. I noticed on the timeline that this seems to be unknown. It would be fun to go visit an address.

Oh no, no, no, not me. That's from an old thread warning against letting someone who is drunk put a tattoo onto you. ;)

https://bukowskiforum.com/showthread.php?t=153

Heh, funny. I spoke to this guy on myspace. Yeah, the drunken tattoo isn't a good idea, but I think Buk would either laugh at this guy or think he's completely "off his shit".

Seems like a good guy though. I talked to him a couple times on myspace and he posts a lot of poems. It's always fun to read completely random works that people find interesting for whatever reason.

Can you imagine sitting there, reading a magazine or twiddling your thumbs while this guy works the needle on your arm, and then after a while he says, "Okay, all done," and you look up and see that jailhouse monstrosity in the mirror?

He may be a nice guy, but he should have covered up that tattoo as soon as the scabs fell off.

it looks homemade to me. i wonder if this guy sat there while his buddy gave him the world's biggest prison tattoo. and i sort of feel like, if you're going to get a bukowski tattoo, that's the way to do it (no offense to xxxedgexxx).

actually, that crumb tattoo looks fantastic. $120 is pretty cheap for that quality of work.

i have toyed with the idea of getting a line from bukowski tattooed on my leg, but i always decide not to (it's not actually a direct quote; more of my adaptation of something he says in a story).

There is definitely an appeal to getting wasted and having someone give you a Buk tat but shit, I'm still gonna stick with mine for some reason, haha. I think the girl did a pretty good job and it looks pretty much identical to the Crumb drawing.

Plus I actually like getting a tattoo by a real gun and not the thread and needle...haha. Get me drunk enough and I'm sure I'd be up for anything though. Anyone ever hear of GG Allin? Dude would pass out and people would tattoo him without him knowing.

I think the girl did a pretty good job and it looks pretty much identical to the Crumb drawing.

Indeed it does! It's a very good copy of the Crumb drawing. Just beautiful! I've seen a few tatoos with Crumb images on the net but this one surpasses the all. If you ever visit a comic book convention, you're going to be the center of attention. Congrats!...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, you're right on GG Allin! Crazy Out-of-head guy. He wouldn't give a fuck for anything.

lol...is it just me or does anybody else find it kinda silly/nerdy to get a writers face tattood on yourself?
Personally, I wouldn't get me a tattoo. But if one does, why not Bukowski? Isn't worse than naked women on bikes, or Eminem having his daughter, who gets older and finally will hate him having her 'immortalized' as a little child on his arm.

Besides the 'B'-looking 'D', I like the drunk tattoo. Just right! in some way.

Looking for the classical Buk-drawing: I, personally, like the one, that goes with his statement: "These words I write keep me from total madness". You'll find it here: http://www.levee67.com/bukowski/
Where would you like to have this done? (not at what tattooer, but where on your body that is.)

You know, I saw this image a lot since it's very popular but I'll tell you one thing that kind of kills it for me, and this may be silly, but the fact that it doesn't have the X's on the jug...The X's crack me up for some reason.

I'll probably go with the right shoulder for this one...

Well, maybe I'm blind but this arm tattoo looks similar to this:
bib_07.jpg

Of course this "Bon't try" sucks but this Dirty Old Man looks almost like this cover.

Whoever did that cover illustration ought to be shot.

I take that back... whoever chose to use that illustration for a bookcover ought to be shot.

Oh hell, just shoot both of them.

- It's still a bad choice...
... and I still like it :-))
(somehow, that is.)

o.k., edge, so if you're going to have it on your right shoulder, you'll have to consider, this will automatically create some symmetry (sp?) - But (!) having one of the pure line-drawings against you other one with shadows and dark areas, will kill this symmetry. Maybe it's what you intend, but think it over! In terms of 'composition' I'd recommend to avoid that.

Next thought:
if it's only for the Xes (not excess, that is, haha), what holds you back to add to the sujet yourself in combining a bottle that you like (or Xes that you like) with that one. What I think speaks strongly for this one is, he didn't spoil the feet, like he often did when in a hurry!

But if it simply is too 'common', you'd have to look for a totally different sujet, like, say, pages 7 and 8 of 'Dear Mr. Bukowski', where he sits and drinks/smokes. These would also make o.k.-compositions in terms, that, if you use your right shoulder, Buk should look right, like he does in these (again for reasons of symmetry, but also for the composition in itself - it simply goes better having your subject looking 'forward', which is the direction your own face goes).

Or, as I said above, think of another master, more similar to your first one. Maybe have a look at other Crumb-illustrations. He did some on Buk back in the 70s. Or maybe your tattooer is not only a craftswoman but also an artist herself, then maybe she could use one old b/w-photograph as a master to create the style of your other tattoo.

... and I still like it :-))

o.k., edge, so if you're going to have it on your right shoulder, you'll have to consider, this will automatically create some symmetry (sp?) - But (!) having one of the pure line-drawings against you other one with shadows and dark areas, will kill this symmetry. Maybe it's what you intend, but think it over! In terms of 'composition' I'd recommend to avoid that.

Next thought:
if it's only for the Xes (not excess, that is, haha), what holds you back to add to the sujet yourself in combining a bottle that you like (or Xes that you like) with that one. What I think speaks strongly for this one is, he didn't spoil the feet, like he often did when in a hurry!

But if it simply is too 'common', you'd have to look for a totally different sujet, like, say, pages 7 and 8 of 'Dear Mr. Bukowski', where he sits and drinks/smokes. These would also make o.k.-compositions in terms, that, if you use your right shoulder, Buk should look right, like he does in these (again for reasons of symmetry, but also for the composition in itself - it simply goes better having your subject looking 'forward', which is the direction your own face goes).

Or, as I said above, think of another master, more similar to your first one. Maybe have a look at other Crumb-illustrations. He did some on Buk back in the 70s. Or maybe your tattooer is not only a craftswoman but also an artist herself, then maybe she could use one old b/w-photograph as a master to create the style of your other tattoo.

All very good points. I'm going to take my time and really find something good. I have a couple of the wormword reviews as well that have some classic Buk drawings. Maybe I can take a group of drawings and let the tattoo artist have a little freedom in the design.

thanks

new Buk tat

I was sitting at home...something was bugging me. I was restless but I had nothing to do. Why not get a new tattoo?

l_efddb797844b2fc19822e70cfa267858.png

-jeremy

I was sitting at home...something was bugging me. I was restless but I had nothing to do. Why not get a new tattoo?

l_efddb797844b2fc19822e70cfa267858.png

-jeremy

Was thinking of tattoos yesterday, why I never got one. My conclusion was that I was afraid to regret my decision.Your choice is absolutely great. In fact I may get one. Joe

it just occurred to me that that tattoo artist should go into business forging buk's signature. seriously, it looks more authentic than any forgery i've seen, and that's with an ink gun on human skin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back