Broadsides and Krumhansl (1 Viewer)

Why does Krumhansl only cover some of the broadsides issued by BSP?

For example, he includes Ham On Rye and Hot Water Music but does not mention There's No Business and Bring Me Your Love.

Interestingly, Bring Me Your Love flyer is numbered after Hot Water Music but the book is mentioned before.

It seems really weird to me as the flyers were numbered.

Can anyone shed any light or am I missing something?

Thanks

Hi,
The broadsides that are not listed are missing because they do not contain any poems. They are considered more of an announcement flyer, while the ones with poems (or story excerpts) are considered "A" items.

I have announcement fliers here for "The Days Run Away" and "Post Office". they are beautiful letterpressed cards. I know that there was one for "At Terror Street", but have not seen it. But again, these contained no new material so they are not considered primary publications.

Now the two Crumb broadsides would qualify as "A" items on a Crumb bibliography.

Bill

I know that there was one for "At Terror Street", but have not seen it.

Hi Bill. Here it is. It's printed on rich, textured paper. Almost cardstock, really. Scored once.The pictures are kinda crappy but you get the point.

terror 1a.jpg terror 2a.jpg
terror 3a.jpg terror 4a.jpg

...Limited to 800 copies, $4 dollars... GEEZE LOU-EEZE!
Oh, it's worse than that...

"At Terror Street And Agony Way is also published in a special, limited edition of 75 numbered, hardbound copies. Each contains an original color ink drawing by Bukowski. Each copy is signed. $25.00."

Yeah. Maybe it's time to go sleepy-bye. Or drink some more. Did you know a painting of Buesquaites(SP??) sold yesterday to for over $3 MILLION to LARS from Mettalica? All that NAPSTER cash, hard at work!:eek: CRB:)

thanks nymark. it looks to me like the broadside is printed on the same red paper/wrapper material as the cover of the book...

At least they spelled "Street" correctly on the broadside. :rolleyes:

But I disagree on the paper, at least looking at my copy. The color is certainly close (photos can be very deceptive), but the cover of my copy of the book is fairly smooth, and the broadsides look to be quite a bit more textured.

Edited to add: of course, the paper used is far more important than the words for you trolls out there...

But I disagree on the paper, at least looking at my copy.

He's right. The cover stock on the book is different than the broadside.

Thanks for the look nymark. I like the color and the sparrow on the front... Very nice.

I've always wondered about that logo. I think the first logo was intentionally made to look like a "young" sparrow and it was soon redesigned to look like a more mature sparrow. This is just my personal theory and don't know if that's correct or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you know a painting of Buesquaites(SP??) sold yesterday to for over $3 MILLION to LARS from Mettalica? All that NAPSTER cash, hard at work!:eek: CRB:)
He has been buying and selling Basquiat paintings for a long time. Three million is low for large Basquiats. I think one sold for 15 million last year.

Here's a groaner for ya. A friend of mine was Basquiat's girlfriend for the better part of a year, back in the early 80's, just before he became really well known. He made paintings for her, painted on some of her clothes, generally left his mark on tons of stuff in her place. Well, when she threw him out she also gave his paintings back to him, and eventually tossed everything he had painted or scribbled on.

Maybe not the best move, in retrospect.

(snip...)
Here's a groaner for ya. A friend of mine was Basquiat's girlfriend for the better part of a year, back in the early 80's, just before he became really well known. He made paintings for her, painted on some of her clothes, generally left his mark on tons of stuff in her place. Well, when she threw him out she also gave his paintings back to him, and eventually tossed everything he had painted or scribbled on.

Maybe not the best move, in retrospect.

It's a safe bet she's keeping those Ink Poems and her copy of Alternative Man in a safe place.;)

After a move like that you probably don't want to keep anything around too long. You already passed by the golden ticket, the rest are just Wonka bars.

I remember when I read Phoebe Hoban's book on Basquiat, she mentioned the prices his paintings were fetching at the time (1996-97). I recall saying wow at the sums.

I dug out the book today to see the prices: $250,000.

and now $3 million to $15 million. 12 years later. incredible.

I've got a couple of books on Basquiat that have soared in value in a few years. The guy is gold. He really was a smart painter, in my ignorant opinion. Very savy. Same with Henry Darger books. You want to make fast money in books, forget poetry...look at art and photography books. Of course, not all are good investments, like anything.

Hey, Bill, were you aware that Capricorn Press printed a broadside for Fire Station?

Here's a pic:

fire station 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back