A *ahem* brilliant new column on books (1 Viewer)

I debated whether or not to post this. I don't have the time to hang out here as much as I use to, so it feels self indulgent to suddenly resurface to promote something. But I've decided it's a lesser evil and a pardonable offense. Plus, I cleared it with the boss.

Over the summer, the editor for an online lit journal asked me to write a monthly column about some of the rare books on my shelves. Here's the first offering. It's a must-read for Hunter S. Thompson fans and a pretty good show overall, if you don't mind my saying so.

The site it the Undie Press. My column is "Books You Cannot Read."

http://www.undiepress.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys from Ohio and your modesty! That was a cool column. Now you have to write one about your copy of Flower, Fist and Bestial Wail.

Excellent read and look forward to future columns. Always enjoy reading fellow book collector experiences and pics of their collections. I've collected vintage paperbacks for years and have a fairly sizeable collection of UK stuff from the 40s and 50s. Many of 'em quite rare. Good thrills in the hunt.

What you've all been waiting for

I have good news. Your long wait is over. The October issue of Undie Press, including my column, Books You Cannot Read is finally up.

This month, I discuss someone very familiar and very close to us all. I won't drop any names because it would ruin the surprise.

Good article. He says: "Back in 1975 you could have ordered a signed first edition of Factotum for $15 and a first edition with a painting for a measly 30 bucks." I remember being aware of those editions at the time but never having $30 or even $15 to spare, so I always bought the paperbacks.

Great text and beautiful pictures. Those first edition Fantes makes me drool. Mint dustjackets from the 30s and 40s are mouthwatering.

Hilarious anecdote about the father-in-law! Laughed out loud.

Thanks, Bill. I mentioned the theater as just a small aside, almost hoping nobody would notice.

BTW, still no word. I sent an email to the assistant on Friday asking what's up. The silence is deafening.

Thanks very much for your kind words. If it weren't for Harper Lee, I'd be living in the ironbound neighborhoods of Cleveland. Not as poetically romantic as it sounds. Trust me.

My column in the April issue covers my recent trip to the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America bookfair at the big Park Avenue Armory (aka fantasy camp) and the difficulty of adjusting to life in New Jersey after 20+ years of Brooklyn/Manhattan.

Nice article, book fairs like that do more harm than good to my ego, to say the least. I did the opposite of you: spent 23 years in Jersey, moved to New York City, realized it wasn't all that it was cracked up to be, and then completely jumped ship and moved to the Rockies in Colorado. But I'm curious now, which part of Jersey do you live in now? It's still near and dear to my heart...

Thanks for your kind words about the article. I love a compliment. I understand why you fled NYC. It's pretty vile. Honestly, I don't know what's wrong with me.

I am nestled in Monmouth County, very close to Red Bank. Are you familiar? In the summer, we spend a lot of time in Sea Bright. When was the last time you had a pork roll and egg sandwich?

Yeah, even though I ran as fast as I could out of NYC, I still do miss it, at least once a week I wish I was back there. Then reality strikes and I remember why I left. As for Monmouth County, I am very familiar with it. I actually lived in Tinton Falls for awhile, which is Southwest of Red Bank, but not by much. As for pork roll, I know it as Taylor Ham, which I am sure you have heard it also called.

Taylor ham, egg, and cheese on a hard roll with pepper and ketchup may just be what I miss most about Jersey, and I am completely serious. I get a package of taylor ham sent out to be once a month,no lie.

As a side note, I stumbled across the letter you received back from Harper Lee. That's a feat in itself my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back