• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

A bold claim (1 Viewer)

Sound like a lot of hype to me. Despite his dislike for the general public, Bukowski signed pretty much anything that was put in front of him. I doubt that this is the "only" signed copy, although there probably aren't many.

Speaking of "only signed copies", has anyone ever seen a signed copy of "The Bluebird?" I know that at least one exists, but you would think that there would be more. Also, "Between the Earthquake" was published in Feb 14, 1994. There are no signed copies of this as far as I know. Of course, Buk would have been very ill at this time. Then there is always "Going Modern", which probably has no signed copies. Does anyone disagree? I would think that a signed copy of any of the three above would bring a decent premium.

Anyone here have any of them?

Bill

Actually, a long time ago, Martin told me that he FORGOT to have Bukowski sign copies of "The Bluebird!!" If I remember the story correctly, Montfort had a few copies that he had Bukowski sign, but that's IT! So you are correct, Bill, that signed copies of this broadside a very few and far between.

Hi,
Yes, John told me the same thing. I guess that Montfort may have had the only copies. I think that one was in the Finch catalog. I would guess that there are probably not more than 3 or 4 signed, period.

All best,
Bill

Then there is always "Going Modern", which probably has no signed copies.
Yeah, same with Going Modern. None of the copies were signed (though the limitation page says 1-25 were signed) or numbered before this "suppressed" title was sold off to book dealers by Martin, so any signed copies would have had to been done after the fact.

Going Modern

Speaking of which...
I have a couple copies of GOING MODERN, I know John didn't 'like/appreciate' it... but I've got to say it's certainly not the WORST looking item BUK was associated with, why the recall... Was there something in particular John Martin/Bukowski did not like??

(if there is a thread already for this, I apologize!)

? Sorry, not following.. "A" item is worse??

Do u mean old BUK stuff worse than GOING MODERN???
My point was; I don't think GOING MODERN is all that bad...
I was curious why the RECALL?

Hi,
Yes, that is what I meant. As far as Bukowski items, it is the worst. It is not all that bad, but I can imagine that they wanted to maintain some standards of what was released.

Bill

I have a copy of 'Confessions of a man ..." and that is by far a crapier production than 'Going Modern' in my opinion.

And, no, I will not sell it cheaply in that case ;)

That's another point on Bukowski - what other contemporary American author has been treated so well by publishers?
What with all the lavish broadsides, variations of limitations, New Years Greetings... even matchbooks and bookmarks...
It's clear Martin understood the marketability of Bukowski.
He knew how to create collectability/desirability!

Speaking of "only signed copies", has anyone ever seen a signed copy of "The Bluebird?" I know that at least one exists, but you would think that there would be more.

I've wondered about this as well. I've never seen a signed copy of "The Bluebird" but I'd be willing to bet that Red had him sign some copies.

Another book that is really uncommon signed is the trade hardback of "Run With The Hunted." He was pretty ill by the time it was issued and the only copies I know of that were signed are a batch of approximately 20 that Red had him sign. I saw one come up on ebay a few years back and I have a copy that I bought from Red at the time. Haven't seen any others for sale.

You mean the anthology?
I have a signed copy of the anthology in its Black Sparrow inprint.
Rare? I thought there were 326 signed copies. No?

Yes, that is what I meant. As far as Bukowski items, it is the worst. It is not all that bad, but I can imagine that they wanted to maintain some standards of what was released.

How do u say "IT IS THE WORST" and then, "IT IS NOT ALL THAT BAD"
?
Which is it?
I agree CONFESSIONS is worse (looking), at least ORO tried with GOING MODERN, it's NOT great, but it's 'maybe' not the worst, and THE WORST is very subjective...

Grand scheme of things...
Who cares!

:)

Going Modern is the worst in context.

Confessions was made before Bukowski was widely known and before the Black Sparrow stuff came out. Once a certain quality standard had been set by Black Sparrow, the low budget productions seemed out of place.

Kind of like Jack Nicholson appearing in a student film...

Going Modern is the worst in context.

Confessions was made before Bukowski was widely known and before the Black Sparrow stuff came out. Once a certain quality standard had been set by Black Sparrow, the low budget productions seemed out of place.

Kind of like Jack Nicholson appearing in a student film...

Very true.
It's the context of the piece in question... and Confessions was early, early early.
The personal context for this item inspired my comments.
I'm a collector (and, let's face it, a bit of a tosser!) so I had to find a mint condition copy of Confessions and it cost me quite a bit. Then when I received it it looked like it had been put together by a ten year old.

Still... glad to have it - so an observation rather than a complaint.

Red - BlueBird

I've wondered about this as well. I've never seen a signed copy of "The Bluebird" but I'd be willing to bet that Red had him sign some copies.

Red sure got Buk to sign these, I was trading him 1st WH Allen eds of Factotum for them, I got 5 signed, sold 2 on ebay still got the other three

Users who are viewing this thread

Back