A good beating... (1 Viewer)

Anybody there, who got beaten by his parents during childhood? All those beatings undoubtedly seem to be a significant event in Bukowski live in many ways.
I got some beatings, not often, but if it happend it became pretty ugly.
I think, to be beaten regularly like Bukowski was, is far more stressful.

I got beaten a few times - no big deal. But beaten regularly, man that can sure screw up your mind. Like your parents are suppose to love you, not beat you. Logically, if your parents don't love you, nobody will. But maybe the fact that Buk got beat made him great. Hard to tell, that psy stuff is over my head.

"everybody goto die someday"

I was never physically beaten by either parent, but mentally, it was there. We'd go days without any conversation in the house if my Dad was mad. Or if he and mom were fighting. Or there was no money for groceries.

Silence in the house for days.

I would sit in my room, hide basically from it.

Silence in the house for days

There has been silence in my house since last Friday night the 9th of October. I sit and await her departure, since she insists she's moving out. She packed for three days, then stopped...and still I sit and wait for her to go...

Oops, I just realized this was about childood drama, welp, my childhood drama seems to have found me in adulthood!

I was never physically beaten by either parent, but mentally, it was there. We'd go days without any conversation in the house if my Dad was mad. Or if he and mom were fighting. Or there was no money for groceries.

Silence in the house for days.

I would sit in my room, hide basically from it.

Ditto.
My dad did KO me once, but I believe it was because I was being a complete bitch around the age of 12 or 13. Me and my mother have been in a rare physical cat fight now and again.
But mostly it was just the lack of anything/everything for a lot of the time. I concur.

I was smacked when I deserved it. Only beaten black and blue with the old leather belt (on the arse) a couple of times. I probably deserved that looking back. When I got older I used to hate the silent treatment as well. Pretty standard really and nothing remotely sadistic about it.

my stepdad punched me in my face several times, because i skipped school (hated to be the mobbed new guy there), until my mother, who stood beside him, said "that's enough". too bad that i didn't hit him with a beautiful uppercut ;)

I copped loads of beatings, most of which I deserved, and since none put me in hospital I say....so what? The old man's beatings were painful; but nowhere near as painful as the sexually repressed nuns' beatings

p.s. I sometimes wonder whether the severity and regularity of Bukowski's beatings has been exaggerated

Who knows?, beatings were a regular thing around the old casa. I won't go into detail, but it will suffice to say that they made me the person I am today. Different people deal with trauma in different manners. I have friends who were equally roughed up, yet they seem to have done well as adults. For me, that past haunts me to this day, and I suppose it always will.

I'm sorry you got punched out by your step-father, it pains me to hear it, as I remember those days very well.

My cousin, who was also my best friend, was emotionally abused regularly and beaten occasionally. I lived near her and she used to run away to my house quite often. My uncle would call my mother and yell at her for taking my cousin in. My mother disapproved of my uncle, she did every thing she could to help my cousin. My family supplied a negative environment though, my mother was always gloomy when I was a kid especially after my father died. So there was really no place for my cousin to run away to.
Over the years my cousin became a extreme pessimist. It was very hard for her to find a mate, because she brought everyone down. Nobody really wanted to "cope with her shit."
Surprisingly she became a school teacher and found a new sense of joy in her life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back