About growing old... something about dogs barking into the night/darkness. (1 Viewer)

I've been looking for a poem that is about growing old. It compares being concerned with death (or maybe just thinking about it) to dogs barking into the night or darkness or something.

I think it was published in one of his posthumous books. I've tried to go through them again though with no luck and I can't get any results from database. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

I think you're right. Thanks, Stavrogin.

I'm having a hell of a time finding the poem on the internet, but I know the library down the street has a copy of the book. I'll post once I can verify.

Thanks,

Mark

Is there a good resource that would have a lot of his poems in a database or something?

Is there a good resource that would have a lot of his poems in a database or something?
Well they're all copyrighted, aren't they? You can't just make a database of them available online. HarperCollins is in the book selling business. Go buy a book. Or go on eBay and buy a used copy for a few dollars.

Everything in the world isn't online. I know that's hard for people of a certain age to comprehend, but it is the sad truth.

Hey guys I'm going to an expensive university and my Lit Prof is making us find all of these pomes and do all of this research and I hate goin to the libary cause they get all pissy when I fire up my bong. You know where I can find all of this stuff online so I won't have to spend my daddy's money on books so I can save money for more chronic buds and cush? I know Bukowski is cool since I saw a YouTube of him reading his pomes and blazin a doobie on stage, man! I wish I could've met him and got high with him.

Well they're all copyrighted, aren't they? You can't just make a database of them available online. HarperCollins is in the book selling business. Go buy a book. Or go on eBay and buy a used copy for a few dollars.

Everything in the world isn't online. I know that's hard for people of a certain age to comprehend, but it is the sad truth.
I really appreciate you taking the time to write this. It was very insightful AND helpful.

Hey guys I'm going to an expensive university and my Lit Prof is making us find all of these pomes and do all of this research and I hate goin to the libary cause they get all pissy when I fire up my bong. You know where I can find all of this stuff online so I won't have to spend my daddy's money on books so I can save money for more chronic buds and cush? I know Bukowski is cool since I saw a YouTube of him reading his pomes and blazin a doobie on stage, man! I wish I could've met him and got high with him.
Also helpful. What exactly is this forum for aside from this exact use-case?

It was a poem in one of his books that I read. I'm having a hard time finding the poem and while it wouldn't be a tragedy for me to re-read the last 3 or 4 of his poetry books books I've read, I was hoping to get a hand from the "Name That Poem" forum. That might sound insane, but I'm obviously a crazy person.

This isn't probably what you meant, but :- http://bukowski.net/database/
Yeah, I tried that with anything I could come up with as far as the subject matter and couldn't get much. Thanks though. I assume some people post here without taking the time to look on their own for a while.

I think the poem you are thinking of is "cool black air" from The Last Night of the Earth Poems.
I checked it out and it's not the poem I'm thinking about. Thanks a lot for posting though... the level of discourse has really trailed off here, so in comparison I'm doubly appreciative that you gave it a shot.

Two of the copies from the library have been lost and the one that is still available isn't allowed for checkout (given the circumstances it seems reasonable). It might take me a couple days to get to the library that has it on the reference shelf. I'll let you know.

Thanks a lot.

So you've secured rights from HarperCollins or The Bukowski Literary Estate to post some his poems on this site?

How about War All The Time?
"Playing It Out"

I had a look. Wasn't that one either. I think I'm going to look at the library records to see the last few I checked out and just re-read them. Thanks again for the tip, Black Swan. I'll post the book and poem titles here when I find it.

Don't worry mjp, just the titles, not the actual poem. I've been informed that would be illegal.

Found it.

I realize now that my description wasn't as helpful as it could have been.

SLOUCHING TOWARD NIRVANA - poem for my 70th birthday.

Thanks for the help, to those of you that were helpful. And thanks for the reminder, those of you who weren't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back