All the Great Writers - Short Film (1 Viewer)

let us know what you think.
Well, I could only make six minutes of it, but I will say that in the first six minutes everyone is really ACTING UP A STORM! Very ACT-Y thing you've got there! Very MANIC! VERY VERY VERY UNREALISTIC!

the animated bit is good.

Well, I could only make six minutes of it, but I will say that in the first six minutes everyone is really ACTING UP A STORM! Very ACT-Y thing you've got there! Very MANIC! VERY VERY VERY UNREALISTIC!

I thought the same thing when he showed us the trailer.

I think the male actors' accents let it down a bit. I gather this is a UK production and all the players are British? Ms Godwin sounds more natural.

It's a lot better that the trailer would suggest.

Honestly, I tried to watch it, but when the guy in the wife-beater shows up, the teeth-grinding AMPED vibe just goes full speed over the edge and loses me. The mania is bad enough before that, then to put that guy on top of it -- I don't know, man. It's uncomfortable to watch. Like a movie at an art gallery or something that is supposed to disorient you or make you feel like punching somebody.

Say what you will about a movie like Factotum - at least Hamer got the slow burn down on film. All of these shorts seem to suffer from an excess of scenery chewing, as the kids say. But that is the problem with amateur ac-tors. They feel as if they must be ACTING! at all times.

It wasn't too bad, but some of the acting was over the top, I think. Way too intense, manic and over the edge.
It was a good idea to put in the animation part instead of just letting the guy tell the plot.
Too bad, the original ending was left out because it's pretty funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the comments, whether good or bad. Interesting to read and review.

I just want to defend the actors, as if in your opinions they were 'manic' or 'amped' or "unrealistic' etc, then it was due to my decision as the director. It was my interpretation and therefore reflected what I sought to achieve, whether successfully or not. They, as actors, were excellent and did what was asked of them - and they are definitely not amateur, as will be seen this year when their upcoming projects are released.

Condensing the whole story into what we aimed at 15mins was particularly testing and some great lines/scenes were lost. However, we did film the original end but felt that it didn't work together with the piece. Hopefully we might be able to post this up as an extra/deleted scene of some form.

I genuinely do appreciate feedback so please continue if so inclined.

Regards,

D

However, we did film the original end but felt that it didn't work together with the piece. Hopefully we might be able to post this up as an extra/deleted scene of some form.

Yes, please. I would love to see the original ending.

djodvic,
You show a lot of class in taking the good reviews with the bad reviews. Many people come here and get upset that their art is not as well reviewed as they had hoped.

Hello Again,

Bukfan, I have been discussing the possibility of getting the extra bit of footage up on youtube with the AD and so I will update as and when this happens.

Bospress, having made the decision to adapt one of Buk's stories, I and my crew were fully aware of the difficulty we would face in creating something that would please his fan base, which included us, but it was a challenge we wanted to take up. As a result we strove to film something that would remain true to its source material, and thus, minimal changes/additions/omissions were made from the original story, bar those that did not work on screen, or could not be used due to production problems. It is fair to say that the final piece is not quite what we anticipated due to technical problems experienced during the shoot and in post-production, but what we managed to edit together is what you see, which is, put simply, the result of all the hard work put in by everyone involved. Being an extremely small independent film company in the UK, the short film was a lo/no budget affair and represented more a labour of love than a project that could benefit from more tangible resources. But even if some enjoy our efforts then it was a worthwhile endeavour, and in truth, an extremely enjoyable one that I would return to with little hesitation. And feedback is always welcome due to responses of all kind being informative and influential on future decision and projects. Thanks for your time.

Regards,

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back