all things baseball. if you swing that way (2 Viewers)

I don't know much about baseball but there was this pitcher who's nick name was "The Wild Thing"?

I worked 6:30 pm - 3am night shifts at the post office and when I got home I could hardly walk upstairs to my room but made it and I always opened an expensive bottle of Beaujolais, layed down on my bed, put the tv on, found an unkown sports channel and watched a baseball game until I fell asleep around 6am.

Who was that pitcher?

Mitch Williams. He was a relief pitcher for the Chicago Cubs in 1989 when they actually played well and won the Eastern Division. But his big "claim to fame" was giving up a World Series-winning home run to Joe Carter in the 1993 World Series. At that time, Williams pitched for the Philadelphia Phillies and they lost the World Series to the Toronto Blue Jays. Overall, he was a pretty good pitcher in his prime. Left-hander too.

I just got a DirecTV dish and it looks like every MLB game in the world is available on there. Along with rugby, soccer, NFL - all the stuff I never watch. So the big screen is open at my place. Just bring steaks for the grill.

I'm on the fence about the Riggleman episode. apparently this has been brewing for awhile. bad timing, but I like Riggleman's balls.

and I was glad to see Dunn go. great personality, but his skills were and are declining and not someone you build a club around. if the Nats were perennial contenders, then Dunn would be a nice piece. but the Nats are not the Yankees. yet.

3-0 Nats top 9.

two weeks ago, the Nats were 8 games under .500. if they hold on tonight, they will be 2 games over. they are hot.

don't worry about it. I just declared how much I like Riggleman's balls...

I'm surprised that's only the second home run allowed this year by Santas, the way he hung that...

When I saw this thread two and a half hours ago I got caught up in the ESPN-like play by play excitement and wondered if I could see the very same game on my new magic satellite, so I headed toward the living room but stopped in the kitchen to get a beer and ended up standing at the kitchen counter and reading 100 pages of Bob Mould's book instead. My time may have been better spent watching the rich men throw the ball around.

9-5 Nats win. and it only took 14 innings! bonus!

13 out of your last 14 games - VERY nice. I'm starting to enjoy watching this version of the Nats. Desmond/Espinoza make a sweet double play combination, Bernadina looks solid and the pitching is coming along. Jordan Zimmerman looks like he belongs, Jason Marquis can contribute, and senior citizen/Medicare recipient Livan Hernandez can still occasionally whup-ass on them young whippersnappers. With a smart GM like you have, the NL East better watch out when Strasberg returns and Harper arrives.

To me, this kind of feels like the Cleveland Indians of the early 1990's. Which means I might have to adopt a second-favorite baseball team. Ever done that, or do you consider it heresy ?

I'm also a Red Sox fan. our NBC feed came from Maine when I was a kid, and we got a lot of Sox telecasts.

I can relate. In downstate Illinois, we saw Cardinals, Cubs, and White Sox games all summer so nobody ever got too parochial about it. But up here in Chicago it's a whole different story.

It seems like choices between a ballgame. a day at the beach or anything else (reading things) are ever equally fun and equally disappointingly-impacting. I hate interleague play.

Rizzo is an idiot - watch the Nats fade under Johnson.

I don't know - Rizzo has drafted well and most observers agree that the scouting and minor league instruction is going strong too. He told Bryce Harper to sit tight for right now and learn to hit the leftys first. Get all that worked on at Single A Ball. But the Riggleman episode was stupid all around.

Caught half an inning of the Nationals and the Angels. The A's game was in rain delay. (What, no Ichiro and the Mariners?) Looked like an E5 and a walk to load up the bases (I missed the third runner. Must have been eating.) An Angel hit to the right side ended that rally with a double play. The batter was still talking to himself when he took his position in the field. Then we went to Oakland, which had dried up a bit.

An old article: I Managed Good, But Boy Did They Play Bad, about minor league manager Rocky Bridges.

3-3 Nats/Angels in the 6th.

but tonight I'm thinking about George Foster. no reason. well, maybe the sideburns.

b__george_foster_78.jpg

and he always seemed to be an Expos killer when I was a kid.

Agreed. Foster had the coolest sideburns in baseball. I think that's where he derived his Expos-killing super-powers from. And with the infamous shortage of barber scissors and clippers in Montreal during the 1970's, he just dominated.

I have no explanations for the exploits of dip-shits like Michael Tucker or Geoff Jenkins killing the Cardinals. Except poor pitching, sloppy defense, dumb managerial decisions, and bad astrological situations. But those are kind of.... reaching...

OK - I was just about to bust on the Cubs, what with Livan Hernandez dominating and Rick Ankiel throwing out some dumbass trying to stretch a double into a single... I dial away to catch the White Sox/Twins... and what happens ?... a Cubs comeback ?.... I think this game might be fixed... one of our crooked alderman got to the umpiring crew I think.... watch out for a scandal

BRIBERY ! No other explanation. The corruption in this city is unbelievable.

But the Nats are still 1 game OVER .500 and the Cubs are 17 games UNDER. And Wrigley Field gives away free t-shirts, 3 dollar beers and 1 dollar hot dogs to try to keep relevant. So there's that.

I said I don't want to talk about it.

I don't care how many valves and tubes you got replaced.

you are an old timey radio, right?

yep. it's been a hard road for Wang (all puns intended), but hopefully he's returning to form.

Hooch, sweet that you're an Expos fan.
I was an Expos fan my whole life, by default as my dad was.
I wasn't actually even into baseball back then, they were just "my team".
Now I'm a Jays fan, seeing as they're the only Canadian franchise.
Been only following baseball for a season and a half.
If the Expos DO return, I'll be switching as I'm a Habs fan. :DD

how much do I love Ryan Zimmerman? a lot. I mean as much as one straight man could love another straight man that he has never met. 8 walk-off home runs since 2005, the most in the majors.and he did it again.

Is baseball still considered a major sport in America? My housemate watches a fair amount of NFL games but I never see anything related to MLB on ESPN. Probably watching at the wrong times.

how much do I love Ryan Zimmerman? a lot. I mean as much as one straight man could love another straight man that he has never met. 8 walk-off home runs since 2005, the most in the majors.and he did it again.
Your lover isn't doing much tonight nor is your team for that matter! :p

I'll bet my entire Bukowski collection that Zimmerman doesn't pull in another run this series and to sweeten the deal if you guys win this series I'll book mark my every single favorite Buk poem with a dollar.

The guy is hitting .300+ on the season and .400 during the past week. But... he'll have to face Halladay tomorrow. This will be interesting.

Your lover isn't doing much tonight nor is your team for that matter! :p

I'll bet my entire Bukowski collection that Zimmerman doesn't pull in another run this series and to sweeten the deal if you guys win this series I'll book mark my every single favorite Buk poem with a dollar.

I will not take that bet. because the game is over and the Nats lost. heh.

but Zimmerman was 3 for 4. and I still have to say he's the best 3rd baseman in the game. if he played for the (insert a team here: Yankees, etc.) he'd be a baseball god. he's one of the 10 best players in baseball right now.

Again, I have to say it - nice Wang today !

Love this time of year and I'm especially digging these wild card races. By season's end on Wednesday, Boston should pull away by pounding the Orioles while Tampa gets roughed up by the Yankees. Ah, but were not talking about season-long averages and a large sample size, are we ? Shit happens over the course of just five games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back