all things baseball. if you swing that way (1 Viewer)

As my old buddy Charlie at the cemetery was fond of saying: "I root for the Red Sox and whoever is playing the Yankees"

Another uninspiring October, time for some Hockey.

Well, I don't know...It's looking like Yankees-Phillies right now. The Phillies seem to be the Dodgers kryptonite and it's really pissing me off!
But I'm glad the Angels are going down, I can't stand the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

Awwww! Heartbreaking, absolutely heartbreaking. the Dodgers have been breaking my heart fo 21 years now! Oh well, at least I still have the Lakers...they usually make up for all Los Angeles sports.

Yeah, I was hoping Torre would get a chance to face the Yankees. No go on that.

I want to see the Yankees have to fight for this pennant. John Lackey is a pretty stubborn competitor and it's back in Anaheim tonight. Who knows... 7-game series ? I hope so.

(nervas - look away and cover your ears before I say this)

GO ANGELS !

Phillies vs. Yankees beginning Wednesday night.

Hopefully it can take my mind off the slap in the face that StL Cardinals management delivered today. Good ol' Mark McGwire will drag his sorry steroid-scarred ass to town like nothing ever happened and assume the role of Hitting Coach. After dodging questions before Congress during the March '05 hearings.

But 2005 was ancient history, wasn't it ?
Tell you what: my affinity for this team is about to become history too.

After Andre Dawson's selection to the Hall of Fame, I'm surprised a certain former Montreal Expos fan didn't revive this thread ! One thing I always got a kick out of was that Dawson won his MVP award on a last-place 1987 Cubs team. (The Expos finished 20 games OVER .500 that season but finished 3rd behind St. Louis and NY Mets.)

In the summer of '94, I had the pleasure of seeing him jack one WAY over the Green Monster at Fenway when he was the DH for the Red Sox. It was one of those moon shots that just made "that sound" when it left the bat. His knees were completely shot by that point and it took him forever to round the bases. But the stats page says he managed to hit 20 that year. And I'm pretty sure he did it without syringes, too.

Except for the post-game heroin orgies, of course.

I haven't stopped pinching myself. I don't think it's real. Dawson was a real throwback player; no juicing, stoic, led with his performance on and off the field instead of his mouth.

the turf at Olympic Stadium killed the Hawk's knees. that surface was no better than a towel thrown over concrete.

Here's an excerpt from my letter to the voting committee for next year's ballot:

"...Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven.

Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven Bert Blyleven.

And furthermore, Bert Blyleven."

If you did that in the bigs, someone would be taking a fastball to the hip or the small of the back the next time they stepped up to the plate. You can't just let shit like that go unpunished! Ha.

I'm a Scottish Dodgers fan, but I'm not fully up to date with their season.

I'm drunk at six am too though. Haha. =D

Edit: Also I like the Texas Rangers because they remind me of Queen's Park F.C. IE Shite. =D

Funniest baseball news lately, was how A-Rod ran across the pitchers mound(I looked for video, all I could find have been removed) and that pitcher something Braden had a big problem with it. A-Rod kept responding in interviews how he didn't know who the F that guy was. And now about a month later, the dude pitches a perfect game!

I don't know, I like A-Rod, but still funny.

I was at the Ravine for win #9 last night. Got my Ethier bobble head, but no Ethier.

Here's to another sweep of the Padres!

you know, sometimes I feel stupid for still liking baseball. not that baseball is stupid, just that it has become a money grubbing sport (like most professional sports), full of athletes and agents with no loyalty. and the whole steroids thing that spoiled 20 years, not to mention shitting on Willie Mays, Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio, Babe Ruth, Roger Maris, Hank Aaron, Roberto Clemente, Mickey Mantle....well pick a player that hit his prime before 1985(?), and the steroid era shit on them. belittled them and wrongly made them feel inferior.

but so help me, I love baseball. I visited Fenway Park for the first time last summer. walked up Yawkey Way and into the park and up into the stadium and it was a perfect evening with the sun behaving exactly as it should on a mid summer evening and the Green Monster hit me as much as the Wailing Wall hits others. I choked up a little. ok, more than a little. Fred Lynn was there, waving to the crowd. I'll remember that night forever.

but my point? here's why I'll always love baseball, for plays like this.

full disclosure, I'm a Washington Nationals fan, which were the Montreal Expos until 2005. I became an Expos fan in 1976. for that, you can call me stupid. have another drink, Steve, ok!

Yeah, catches like that are just fantastic to watch. I'll take great defense over great offense any day. I've been going to Fenway since '71 and I still get awed when I walk into that place.

But right now, it's all Broons.

That reminds me of Kirby Puckett in the 1991 world series...

In the first inning of Game 6, Puckett tripled home a run, then scored. In the third inning, with one out and a runner at first, Atlanta's Ron Gant hit a fly ball to deep left-center field. "I thought it was gone," Puckett said. But Puckett, who was 5-foot-8, scaled the Plexiglas fence in left-center and caught it -- making one of the greatest catches in World Series history.

The only difference, of course, is Puckett didn't milk it and ham it up after the catch like the dude in the video there. Well, that and it was the world series.

To tie things together here, I saw a Twins vs. Red Sox game at Fenway in 1994 when Puckett was still playing (he retired in 1996). He had an off night as I recall, but the Red Sox played well and won. Otis Nixon made two nice running catches in center. Andre Dawson launched a freaking ICBM over the Monster that I can still HEAR in my head. That game made me reconsider my objection to the DH rule. By 1994, Dawson's knees were shot to hell but he could still hit. If not for the DH, he wouldn't have been able to contribute like he did that night and others.

What a great park. And game. And yeah, the money and steroids have tarnished baseball badly but I still watch too.

man, Kirby didn't even fall down! you call that a catch? ;)

sure, maybe Bernadina did milk it a bit, but it's not like he's a soccer player, flapping and flailing around the field because someone accidentally touched his jersey.

Bernadina has been up and down from the minors his whole career; great glove, great make up, but can't seem to translate his natural athletic ability into hitting a baseball on a consistent basis. he's probably thinking "Well that catch just bought me another week up here!" that's not hamming it up you're seeing, it's relief.

Andre Dawson launched a freaking ICBM over the Monster that I can still HEAR in my head.
I saw Bo Jackson (O, where have ye gone, Bo?) hit a home run out of the Angel's park that I don't think has landed yet. I don't know if he took steroids, but talk about pure fifty-tons-of-iron-steam-locomotive-power. Yeeeow.

Puckett, yeah, it was odd to learn that he was more like Rick James on a crack binge than the Papa Smurf everyone in MN wanted him to be. Dude was a freak. But whenever he had to do something crazy in a game, he did it. Speaking of the Angel's park, I saw Puckett hit one out of there too, and he wasn't really known for his home run prowess. Bring back the juiced balls! ;)

Bo Jackson. I would watch Royals games just to see him. something crazy like running up the outfield wall or saving Metropolis from Lex Luthor....wait, I think I might have that mixed up.

but yeah, he was something.

sorry, I was looking for that Bo Jackson running up the wall vid, couldn't find it, but found this:

I'm pretty sure that was an advertisement for Gatorade that aired a few years back. I remember watching a piece on ESPN or somewhere about how it was made. A couple hundred fans stuck around after a minor league game to sit in the left field bleachers. They attached cables to her and lifted her up. A bottle of Gatorade was sitting by her chair when she goes back to sit down.

There. Now that I've ruined that awesome catch for you, I'm off to piss on something else. ;)

dammit! I thought the crowd noise sounded fake...

see? that's how gullible I am when it comes to baseball. sentimental sucker.

I saw Bo Jackson (O, where have ye gone, Bo?) hit a home run out of the Angel's park that I don't think has landed yet. I don't know if he took steroids...

I don't think he took steroids (I hope not anyway). The surge in steroid use came along in the early-to-mid 90's and Bo hit his peak around 1987-88. Steroids were around since the 70's but I think he was just an extremely gifted athlete.

Hooch ! Would you PLEASE stop showing off your magic, psychic-telekinetic voodoo powers ? Sure - you can inspire a late-inning comeback by the Nats vs. Cards. I GET IT. Just let the game play out naturally from here on out - please ?

God - you're worse than steroids with that influence.

Oh sure - you can credit Zimmerman or write it off to bad Cardinals pitching if you want. But just in case, I've contacted Uri Gellar, Kreskin, Sarah Palin and every other magical thinker available to form a giant force field between Nova Scotia and the U.S.

Game on !

don't forget Reveen!

raveen-hypnotist.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back