Allen Ginsberg, Marvin Malone and the Case of the Missing Acid Test (1 Viewer)

Pogue Mahone

Officials say drugs may have played a part
Christa Malone was kind enough to share these with me. They are from May 1970.

ginsberg.jpg

I didn't know that Marvin Malone had been a professor of pharmacology before becoming editor of The Wormwood Review. Interesting.
An academican who lies to a poet is dishonorable and should resign.

"One lie fills the universe. He's not worthy of my trust", Ginsberg said.
True or untrue, this sounds conceited as fuck.

I believe that Marvin was a pharmacology professor all of his life. He moved from Storrs, CT to Stockton, CA. Did he start teaching pharmacology there?

I believe that Marvin was a pharmacology professor all of his life. He moved from Storrs, CT to Stockton, CA. Did he start teaching pharmacology there?
He was attached to the Pharma Dept. at UNM in Albuquerque as well, but I'm not sure if that was in a teaching capacity.
Really interesting guy.
I'm not sure that this quote answers your questions directly, but I think it's decent evidence that he was in a research and/or teaching capacity starting at UNM in '58.
"In 1958, after a research job at Squibb Institute, Malone joined the pharmacy department at the University of New Mexico, transferring to the University of Connecticut in 1960 and then to the University of the Pacific in 1969."
http://wormwoodreview.com/malone_bio.html
I feel a real kindred spiritship with Marvin. I may not be in his league, but I share a love of small press poetry and work in and around pharmacology regularly.

My father was always a pharmacologist. He did extensive research in several areas; taught at UNM, UConn, and the University of the Pacific; and edited several professional journals. He did Wormwood on his own, on the side, for the love of it, because he was well read and well versed in poetry and literature.

It seems his time at UNM just barely predates Wormwood's launch...but certainly the idea was churning while he was in New Mexico. Does anyone know if he worked with any printing outfits in Albuquerque at the time? Does anyone have an old address? I'd love to find the spot in town where that tremendous magazine was (at least partially) dreamed up!

OK, it seems odd to me that no one has commented on how hysterical these artcles are. We may need some more pharmaceuticals around here. Ginsberg at his finest.

Thanks again to Christa for sharing.

I never found Ginsberg to be anything but unintentionally hilarious. Is that what you mean?

See what I did there? That was hilarious in and of itself. Now this thread is double trouble.

Seriously though, anyone ever see Ginsberg do a reading? After about fifteen minutes you'd be asleep or looking for the door. Or a window, anything, any way out. The most painful hour of my life, and I've seen Styx in concert.

Just saying.

Wormwood wasn't begun by Marvin Malone. When we moved to Storrs, CT, from Albuquerque, NM, he found issue #2 in a bookshop. If you read the bio I wrote on the official Wormwood site (wormwoodreview.com) and my father's essay about the beginning of Wormwood, the chronology becomes clear.

BTW, my father never made a dime off Wormwood. Good thing he had his day job! He was ALWAYS working.

Isn't it just great to have Christa around to contribute on these matters?

The straight truth instead of the muddy waters of attributions in books that have their own agenda.

Much love girl. After all this time, you still consider it important to support and educate people on your dad's legacy.

Thanks for taking the time.
I never found Ginsberg to be anything but unintentionally hilarious. Is that what you mean?
Exactly. And if the Beat fans don't like it, oh well. The boy was over the top self indulgence.

"Standing ovations concluded both halves...although about half the crowd did not return after the intermission."

Maybe they needed new skins for their bongos?

Malone was a very good poet in his own right. The small book I got from Bill really grabbed me (from the 9 in 9 collection).

Much thanks for the insight, Christa!
Truly an honor to have you here, as many have said.
Back in (circa) 2000, I contacted you through ebay about selling some of your wormwood issues....you gave me a great deal on some key buk issues, and were more than accommodating and nice to a complete stranger...thanks again, and hope to see ya around here more often!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back