Allow me to introduce myself (1 Viewer)

Hello all, I got the nickname Ronzo in college. I am a Carpenter in Las Vegas Nevada.
I started reading "Factotum" on a job that I was working overtime on. Hank is my kind of writer. I watched "Born into this", a doc about him and that really put the hook in me. I have been reading and collecting his books ever since.

welcome, Ronzo.

when I was 7, I was upset my mother didn't name me Fonzie. seriously.

see, Ronzo reminded me a bit of Fonzie. so thanks for bringing up that horrible childhood memory.

seriously, enjoy the forum. there's lots to dig into.

Welcome Ronzo; you sound like a man of wealth and taste. :cool:

Thank you for the compliment. I don't know how tasteful reading Bukowski is but I get some weird looks when I read his books at work. When asked what I am reading I invariably say that it a self help book.
I enjoy several of the " beat" authors, Henry Miller,Vonnegut,even Burroughs. Brutal self appraisal does have it's advantages, it makes it easier to not take myself so seriously.

Hello all, I got the nickname Ronzo in college...snip...

I'll take the bait, seeing how I'm fishing right now. How did you get the name "Ronzo?" That's a new one for me.

Welcome to the (fill in blank, too much to list) Buk site on the planet. Everything and everyone is here, including you. ;)

Not like these.
73339375_17d7a1c74d_m.jpg

I'll take the bait, seeing how I'm fishing right now. How did you get the name "Ronzo?" That's a new one for me.

Welcome to the (fill in blank, too much to list) Buk site on the planet. Everything and everyone is here, including you. ;)

I joined the Shriners as a clown for their fundraisers with a few guys from my crew. One of the older guy's loved those Bonzo movies from the fifties and "Ronzo goes to college", and it stuck. It stuck so hard that it's close to thirty years later and I still hear Ronzo at the union meetings.

Wow, roni? you were looking at their faces?
Those are just wanna' bees. Some old fat guy told most of them they were going to be stars, so they blew him.
#4 looks more like Scarlet Johanson.

Scarlett-1.jpg

Oh gosh Ronzo, I'm sorry.

I apologize as well. This is your intro. Not our playground.

Hope you're not too upset.

No,I am going to hit a couple a used book stores today. The economy being what it is I can usually find at least one of Hank's poetry books, they are getting really difficult to find. :)

No,I am going to hit a couple a used book stores today. The economy being what it is I can usually find at least one of Hank's poetry books, they are getting really difficult to find. :)

Perhaps some of the older ones are harder to find. Especially ones from Black Sparrow. But the Ecco editions seem to be quite plentiful. Trouble is, there seems to be some Black Sparrow stuff that Ecco has not printed.

There are no major BSP books that Ecco has not reprinted. They have done them all. The less popular ones may be harder to find these days, and I can only assume that as more time passes they will become even harder to find, as the profitable titles squeeze them out.

I mainly look for the Black Sparrow press books but I have obtained a few early titles. " It Catches My Heart it it's Hands" and " A Bukowski Sampler " are a few gems gleaned from the sundry used bookstores here in the Las Vegas area. I don't collect these books to make money. I collect Hank's books because I like to read them, I believe that is the true passion of collecting.

Me too Ronzo, the searching and digging and thrill of a find is the fun part of collecting. Of course, if its something that I MUST read, RIGHT NOW, I'll buy new. But theres nothing like rifling through withered and disintigrating stacks and perusing the contents of old pulps and journals, on the off chance that a sought-after name will be there in all its "yet-to-be" glory.

Me sentiments exactly. I am a gunsmith and I build vietnam era carbines and the parts for those are a thrill to find. Hank's books are what I look for mainly. Everyone needs a hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back