Another One Bites The Dust (1 Viewer)

i've heard of Zygote but don't think i read much out of it. 5 years ain't bad for something so small.

anyone got any other small press magazines or websites they recomend? father, i'm looking in your general direction on this quesion...

now's your chance to get in on the ground floor with chance press. meaning, you could buy every release and have a full run ten years from now when other people are paying hundreds of dollars for those early out-of-print titles.

look at bottle of smoke, too... if there were no bottle of smoke, there would probably be no chance press either. although the world would suffer more from the former than the latter, for sure for sure.

i've heard of Zygote but don't think i read much out of it. 5 years ain't bad for something so small.

anyone got any other small press magazines or websites they recomend? father, i'm looking in your general direction on this quesion...
Great list from Father Luke, and I heartily recommend Chiron Review off that listing. Also, try SNReview and Word Catalyst, two high-quality and writer-friendly sites. Chiron only accepts snail-mail submissions and is print-only; they have been around since the early 80s and published Bukowski in several issues. SNReview offers both an online version and a print version through Lulu. Word Catalyst is as yet online only, but the editor is trying to figure out how to do print affordably. Best of luck!

P.S. Check out the featured poem on Word Catalyst ... :)

Has anyone else noticed that the Guerilla Poetics site has been down for the last day or so? Or is it just me?
I think it's just you. Or just AT&T, or just your cable company...

I would highly recommend this free service for anyone who uses a big broadband provider (meaning any big telco or cable company).

Short poems:
nibble, lilliput review, the silt reader...

Longer poems:
Nerve Cowboy, remark., Chiron Review, Posey, Quercus Review, Blue Collar Review...

Short fiction:
sixsentences, [lots of other flash fiction spots...]

Longer fiction: (+ oddities, occasional non-fiction, not to mention fair & balanced reviews of lottery scratchers)
Johnny America

Then, check the links at all the aforementioned for other similar outfits!

Gloom Cupboard?

In all seriousness Zygote was a fine zine that had a lot of time for up and coming writers, it produced all things gaudy and gorgeous. It will be missed.

Oh, good. I was wondering where I would go to get an instant headache. Thank GOD it's back.

For me to poop on.

Longer fiction: (+ oddities, occasional non-fiction, not to mention fair & balanced reviews of lottery scratchers)
Johnny America
Funny thing about Johnny America - I find it to be the worst kind of precious, pomo, navel-gazing masturbation, yet I have all the issues here, and I have a strange mental glitch that won't let me not read everything that comes into the house. If the USPS sticks it into the mailbox, I have to read it.

So I have been working my way through every issue of Johnny America, wondering when it would all end and I could throw the beautifully produced things into the garbage, when I came across a story called "TACO FAIRY." Now, if you've never had the pleasure of reading Johnny America, let me just say that they mainly publish their own writing, and I assume, the writing of their friends. You see the same half dozen names over and over and over again. So after a few issues I stopped looking at the bylines. I would just plod through every interminable story, finish one, wipe, flush, and carry on with my day.

Anyway, today I read one called "TACO FAIRY," and a few sentences in I thought, "What the hell is this? Humanity? Reality? Humor? Everyday language? How did this get into Johnny America?! It had to be a mistake. Well, I didn't want to spoil the surprise of which of the half dozen Johnny America writers had accidentally written a good story (a million monkeys at a million typewriters...), so I finished it off, then went back to the byline: Hosho McCREESH (that's how they printed it).

I laughed. Of course it was an outsider, a living soul had breached their walls and corrupted their shrill irony party with a huge, tasty slab of real-life beauty!

Thanks, H, for making the hours I have wasted reading JA finally pay off.

Funny thing about Johnny America - I find it to be the worst kind of precious, pomo, navel-gazing masturbation, yet I have all the issues here, and I have a strange mental glitch that won't let me not read everything that comes into the house. If the USPS sticks it into the mailbox, I have to read it.

yeah.
heh.

uh, where do I submit.........?

Oh, good. I was wondering where I would go to get an instant headache. Thank GOD it's back.

For me to poop on.

856268~Triumph-the-Insult-Comic-Dog-Posters.jpg

see, if ya had a tv, you'd know that!

;)

After reading a few issues of Zygote in Coffee I liked some of the poems there but this site is overwhelmingly Bukowski influenced. I obviously like Bukowski but there is just too much blatant imitation. It makes me think.. ok ok ok I get it... you are poor and you are a drunk. There are cigarettes and there is coffee (maybe some dope or pills). I think ok ok ok poor, drunk, smoking poets is there anything more? And they say, "Are you fucking me? We fuck too." So there is sex strung out along some of the poems as well. What am I trying to say here? I have no idea. But I know I haven't found any great online poetry magazines so far.

[snip]

Thanks, H, for making the hours I have wasted reading JA finally pay off.

MJP--I have the same glitch...& race to see if I have anythign good to read when I get home from work.

Thanks much for the fine, fine compliment.

It surely isn't everyone's cup of tea--but I enjoy JA. I would like to see a little more subtle humor/humanity mixed together...but that's hard to do & strike the right pitch. I've found a handful of stories that I really liked. I really liked a story called "Talking 'Bout Maybe" by Emily Lawton, Christopher Cunningham had a nice one called "Smoke and the Unventilated" --& I enjoyed a short, the title of which escapes me, something about THE SURVIVORS POOL THEIR COLLECTIVE KNOWLEDGE. Those ones have been stand-outs for me. I like the McSweeny's-esque brand of humor from time to time--reviewing lottery scratchers for instance...of course there is some material that leaves me flat too--as with most everything in the small press. I'd love to see some short fiction from some of my favorite small press poets--so I often encourage folks to try submitting stuff to JA.

I didn't see the Cunningham piece or the others you mention. Maybe they came after #5. That's when I gave up the ghost. Now you're going to tell me it didn't start to get good until #6! Figures. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back