Any comic book collectors/readers here? (2 Viewers)

This is my way of getting into everybody's heads. And also of letting you all into mine a bit.

I've been reading comics since before I could read. My Dad and Grandpa always brought a stack home after going out to the grocery store or a convenience store to buy a Sunday paper.

Comics basically taught me how to read, write, and draw. They're a great escape for me. And I feel very nostalgic about them. Whenever I crack one open, I feel a little piece of my grandpa in the room.

But I don't just read them, I collect them. I used to be more concerned about the value of them. I still put most of them into special bags and boards. But these days, I collect mostly for enjoyment.

When I'm not reading Buk or other poets of renown, I'm perusing the adventures of heroes like Spider-Man, Superman, Batman, Captain America, or the Fantastic Four. Or other comic genres like Jonah Hex (western), House of Mystery (horror), and Unknown Soldier (war).

So if you're a comic reader (or collector) tell me about some of the comics you enjoy. Or just share stories of the ones you used to read. I'm sure most everyone has memories of reading comics as a kid.

Thanks!:cool:

I read EC reprints like The Vault of Horror and The Crypt of Terror with my oldest kid just before his he goes to bed sometimes. He loves them.

I read and collected comics when I was a kid, but that was a long time ago.

Where are you, Bukfan?

I'm right here! :)

I've been collecting comic books and graphic novels for many years, although not as much as I used to do when I was younger. The last one I bought was Crumb's Book Of Genesis.
I'm not into super heroes. I prefer artists like Crumb, Gilbert Shelton,Tardi, Lauzier, Pratt (Corto Maltese), Eisner (a lot!), Trudeau's Doonesbury, Spiegelman's Maus and stuff of that nature. I love social satire in comics. I also like the classic comics like Dick Tracy, Bringing Up Father, Blondie, Peanuts, etc., and the classic Disney duck stories by Carl Barks. I'm also a bit into the French-Belgian comics like Tin-Tin, Asterix, Lucky Luke and especially the Blueberry western series by Jean Giraud. Way back, I was into Jonah Hex too. I still have a few of the mags. And I love all the graphic novels by Jack Jackson (Jaxon) which deals with Texas history. The old EC horror stories are'nt bad either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't enjoy most Superhero comics. I started with a few Batman ones and have now expanded to mostly just the graphic novel genre. Preacher, Sandman, Transmetropolitan, Watchmen (kinda a superhero comic), Swamp Thing (also kinda a superhero comic), and Y The Last Man are my favorite so far.

But I'm still new to the whole thing. I think I may enjoy more Superhero stuff once I get at least some of the continuity down...

every comics fan everywhere is annoyed with people assuming that liking comics means liking superheroes exclusively... when people at my office found out i was going to a comics show, they assumed it was going to be all superman/batman/spiderman stuff and a bunch of teenagers (one guy even said "grow up already!")... as opposed to a bunch of really unappreciated artists who also happen to be great storytellers.

As a boy I was really into comics, a lot of stuff like GI Joe and Sgt. Rock. I also got into the X-Men and Daredevil, but lost interest as I got older. Recently, I returned to the comic stores locally, and started playing a little catch up. I'm really enjoying the New Avengers stuff, leading up to the Civil War. So much stuff I missed out on, I know I can't get completely caught up, but I'm enjoying finding new stuff to read!

my son has discovered my box of comic books, and we've been going through the 'kinder gentler' ones. mostly Daredevil from the late 70's, early '80s. he seems quite taken by Elektra. ;)

I read the occasional graphic novel now, usually lent to me by a friend.

I've been a huge superhero fan for years, but they're falling a little out of grace with me lately. All these frickin crossovers meant to tie in to nearly every book in the company just becomes too heavy on the wallet.

So I'm slowly getting out of heroes. And getting more into the Vertigo vein. Air is just beautiful. House of Mystery is fantastic. And Unknown Soldier is brutal fun. Of course, Jonah Hex gives me my western fix.

OldDad, if you still like Sgt. Rock, try and track down The Prophecy and Between Hell and a Hard Place. Two very recent all-new Sgt. Rock stories drawn by Joe Kubert himself!

Lick, I love Preacher. And DC is re-releasing TransMet in new editions.

Bukfan, I just saw Crumb's Genesis at the bookstore tonight. I almost got it. And if you enjoyed Jonah Hex back in the day, you might want to check out trades from the new series. Tim Truman's Jonah Hex is also awesome.

Bukfan, I just saw Crumb's Genesis at the bookstore tonight. I almost got it. And if you enjoyed Jonah Hex back in the day, you might want to check out trades from the new series. Tim Truman's Jonah Hex is also awesome.

Thanks for the tip, zenguru! Next time I visit the local comic book shop I might pick up a copy of the new Jonah Hex series by Tim Truman.
Speaking of western series, Jean-Michel Charlier and Jean Giraud's (Moebius) Blueberry series ranks among the very best (although it's French and not American). I see they have some of the nearly 30 stories on Amazon. Here's some of those I found:

http://www.amazon.com/Marshall-Blue...r_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257659429&sr=1-13

http://www.amazon.com/Blueberry-Sag...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257659553&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Blueberry-Tra...r_1_38?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257659653&sr=1-38

http://www.amazon.com/Blueberry-Chihuahua-Pearl-Jean-Michel-Charlier/dp/0871355698/ref=pd_sim_b_2

As a kid and a teen, I read various french and belgian comics, and also mangas. My favourite french author is Enki Bilal, his work belongs to the Cyberpunk genre and most of it is haunted by the conflicts in Balkans (he was born and spent his childhood in what was then Yugoslavia). His drawings are amazing.
Now, I'm taking an interest in american comics, especially from Alan Moore and Frank Miller. I read the five first volumes of Sin City and have begun Watchmen.

Bukfan, Truman's Hex is not exactly new, but they came out a few years ago. The most recent is a story called "Shadows West." There's also "Riders of the Worm and Such" and "Two-Gun Mojo." Beautifully illustrated by Truman and penned by Joe R. Lansdale!

The current Jonah Hex series is written by Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray. It has been illustrated by a succession of artists, but they all have a great take on the scarfaced bounty hunter. One of the early issues was drawn by Tony DeZuniga!

OldDad, "The Prophecy" was a miniseries but was recently collected in trade format. And "Between Hell and a Hard Place" came out as an original hardcover at first. But I believe it is in softcover as well.

Lick, I love Preacher. And DC is re-releasing TransMet in new editions.

Best part of it for me was reading the first volume of Preacher from the library. It had erroneously been coded for Young Readers comics and someone had taken the time to highlight (in bright green) every curse word and objectionable situation mentioned.

There was quite a bit highlighted. After about 50 pages, it stopped. I imagine their pen ran out of ink.

Now THAT's funny!:D

People come into my local comic shop sometimes and slip flyers for non-denominational church services in the comics. Perhaps they think people who read comics need to be saved? But from what?

I see! Thanks, zenguru...
Anytime, my friend. I'm always there to help a fellow comic nerd in need.:):cool:

Well I know that before I started reading comics seriously about two years ago, I was a model citizen. Since then, I've become a drooling, sniveling masturbator who sits on street corners and flings my crap at passers-by.

Well I guess the only new thing is sitting on the street corner, actually...

Well I know that before I started reading comics seriously about two years ago, I was a model citizen. Since then, I've become a drooling, sniveling masturbator who sits on street corners and flings my crap at passers-by.

Well I guess the only new thing is sitting on the street corner, actually...

Welcome to the club, LTS! :D

- Better masturbator than gobernator. :p

Gobernator.jpg

Any STRAY BULLETS fans here?

Back when I was trying to get work in comics, all I wanted to do was write & draw a Batman graphic novel--that looked like Mike Mignola drew it!

Then I read Stray Bullets (& Sin City, of course) and all I wanted to do was crime comics...that looked like Mike Mignola drew 'em.

I saved up $500 bucks, and self-published an ambitious 'ashcan' (so, Xeroxed) called PULP...a follow-the-mysterious-package kinda deal...which time has taught me was not very good (typos, barely passable artwork, etc.). But, dammit, I still love it completely. I took a semester off from school--worked on it for about 4 months straight (70 pages, pencils, inks, computer work on each page + lettering)...then took it to Comicon, and actually sold 3 or 4 (so I'm clearing a negative$470 or so on that deal)... I even gave copies to Brian Bendis, Mike Mignola, and David Lapham. All 3 were terrific guys, Mignola even sat with me for a good 30 minutes, went through my entire portfolio (also not very good). Turns out I can't draw like Mike Mignola...or Frank Miller.

Ah, the good ol' days...

Curiously, I have never bought a volume of Stray Bullets. I will have to remedy that someday. But there was a nice Stray Bullets story in Dark Horse's recent Noir tpb.

I have never bought "The Boys", but I do flip through it at the comic shop occasionally. Very dark. Very Ennis. Like if Preacher was a superhero team book. Kinda sorta.

Grant Morrison's run on The Doom Patrol is well worth reading, if you're looking for a dark, bizarre take superhero genre. The Brotherhood of Dada is one of my favorite villain groups in all of books, movies, etc. Some mindbending stuff that I don't believe is supposed to fully make sense...

Great reading though!

I have the trade collecting "Crawling Through the Wreckage." One of Morrison's masterpieces, in my opinion.

Been thinking about purchasing the next five Morrison volumes.

If you've got the cash, do it. A couple issues here and there fell flat for me, but overall it was great. Typically trippy as GM likes to do things, but without being overly convoluted (i.e.: Batman Black Glove\RIP\Final Crisis story arc that I thought was terrible).

I loved Grant's Batman up until the black glove story. I continued to buy thinking it would get even better even as it was getting worse. And I really regret getting Final Crisis. Pretty art, though.

My lcs has trade sales every now and then. I think I'll wait until those are on sale again and pick up a couple more.

Just got into the comic world recently. I only buy trade paperbacks since I feel like I can blaze through single issues in seconds. I fell in love with Walking Dead, Preacher, Y: The Last Man, to name a few. Most of the superhero stuff doesn't do anythign for me but if any of you get a chance check out a short series called Kickass.

I have read that and I couldn't really get into it. Made it through the first 4 or 5 trades and was pretty bored. I hear they are making a Y movie.

I would probably see a Y movie if they made it. But BKV would have to be the head honcho on it or it would likely just be two hours of crap.

I have the first couple trades of Walking Dead. It makes me want to read more, but it's so intimidating to look at the next twelve or thirteen trades and not want to buy all of them at once.

I live on the edge of no where and we just got a comic book store here. This couple is betting it all on some success and so far they have a neat clean set up in what appears to be a hundred year old building.

They plan to start an online store to make up for being located in the sticks. The new tourist location for Hemet, of course that's what Mega Liquor Warehouse says.

I live on the edge of no where and we just got a comic book store here.

Funny coincidence, because Hemet/San Jacinto happens to be where the world famous Disney duck artist, Carl Barks, lived for a number of years writing and drawing his stories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back