one man sits alone in the rain
listening. the audience notices him. they turn
and look. the orchestra goes about its
business. the man sits in the night in the rain,
listening. there is something wrong with him,
isn't there?
he came to hear the
music.

-the first time i read this it was just the right place at just the right time. has this ever happened to you? care to share?-

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I read this when I was at college studying music, so it appealed to me on a couple of different levels.
Re. the 'right place and right time' poems.... lots. All to do with women and getting them out of my life. The strength in being alone.
As sad-assed as it sounds, getting out of a bad relationship and coming home to Bukowski.
Saying he saved my ass would be an over-statement, but he sure did soften many potentially hard landings.

yeah! - GREAT POEM !
(btw. goes along very well with 'A Radio With Guts'.)

Go look for Buk's reading of this poem on 'A Bukowski Reader' - he does it in a way, you'll NEVER forget!
Even more impressing than just reading it yourself (which IS something)!
[this one was even so impressing to me, I used the 'Rhapsody #2 by Listz' for making a DVD last year.]

Taking your nickname I suppose you play the violine, do you?

Go look for Buk's reading of this poem on 'A Bukowski Reader' - he does it in a way, you'll NEVER forget!

You can also hear Buk read "A Radio With Guts" on the double cd "Charles Bukowski Unsensored - from the run with the hunted session"...

Right Place - Right Poetry:

Dylan Thomas - seperated and depressed

First time reading "Howl" - 15 years old and stoned.

e.e. cummings - eternal clown spirit of fairway interruptus

Rod McKuen - you're kidding

Jewel - No, I Am Not.

[[[a circus of the damned]]]]
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but seriuosly
as soon as I wake up tomorow
I will think of another reply

:>)

Sorry about the above semi-nonsense. True items - silly display.

Perhaps my best example of right time/right place poetry was standing near the door of a traveling L-car over the Chicago River*.
On the Ravenswood Line. Packed at rush hour. I read a poem (from unknown author in unremembered magazine) that went "staring down the vacant storms of heaven" and it was dizzying. I caught a glance of the 40 ft. drop from the Wells St. Bridge right exactly as I read that passage. Perfect timing. There have been some others, like Buk's racetrack poems unfolding in real life. But none beats that L-train experience.

*as seen on "The Bob Newhart Show in 1972".

I have the roll the dice poster in my room. any time i need some inspiration, i'll go over to it, recite it, i usually feel a bit better about the situation. buk's writing can be impactful, you're right ,at the right times, even bringing me to tears. this is how i consider him to be one of the best.imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back