Article Link - Gyspy Queen of New Orleans - Louise Webb (1 Viewer)

Sixty-nine years ago, Louise Madaio, a raven beauty of Neapolitan heritage, eloped with a convict writer and rich-kid bad boy, Jon Edgar Webb. They never looked back.

As chance would have it, the lovers from Cleveland made their way to New Orleans by bus in 1940. He wanted escape from a marriage to an unfaithful alcoholic. She wanted to see the world. Until Jon Webb's death in 1971, their life was an odyssey as itinerant artists and underground publishers through the heart of American Bohemia - the Quarter, Greenwich Village, Hollywood.

The Outsider journal and Loujon Press, their crowning achievements, were publications unlike anything else in their day. Printed in the 1960s on hand-cranked presses with fine-quality paper, they were elaborate affairs. Although there were only four magazines and four books, they cultivated a roster of greats: Kenneth Patchen, Henry Miller, Allen Ginsberg, Jack Kerouac, William S. Burroughs.

And what is most important, they gave the world Charles Bukowski, the king of boozy and sexually charged underground poetry, with the publication in 1963 of Bukowski's first full-length book, It Catches My Heart in Its Hands.

Full article here

Great little article! Thanks, CarversDog...

Both the DVD and the Weddle book are worth having.

What a great article. The writer makes Lou's presence feel immediate and offers some terrific background information. It's clear why Bukowski "fell in love" with both her and Jon - because of their artistic commitment and overall fearlessness. Thanks for posting, Carversdog !

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the article. I came across it while on a peripheral research job that had nothing to do with Bukowski, oddly enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back