"As to Orlovitz, I find him at his best, very good. Certainly his delivery seems original." - C.B. (1958) (1 Viewer)

Tough Poets Press specializes in publishing rediscovered experimental and offbeat literary fiction and non-fiction.

Our latest release is an anthology of the works of experimental poet/novelist/playwright/screenwriter Gil Orlovitz, whose work appeared in several literary magazines alongside works by Bukowski (Hearse, San Francisco Review, Beloit Poetry Journal, etc.). The collection is called What Are They All Waiting For? Stories, Poems & Essays: 1944-1962, and will be published on June 7, 2018, the 100th anniversary of Orlovitz's birth.

Orlovitz is mentioned in the July 9, 1958 letter to E.V. Griffith, editor of Hearse magazine, that appears in Screams From the Balcony: Selected Letters. Bukowski wrote, "As to Orlovitz, I find him at his best, very good. Certainly his delivery seems original."

Orlovitz led a fascinating, yet ultimately tragic life. Check out his obituary in the September 8, 1973 New York Times: "Gil Orlovitz, Poet, Died in July; Traced to City Paupers' Grave."

I got a Kickstarter going to raise a few dollars to help with pre-publication costs of the book. Here's the link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1860098210/collected-stories-poems-and-essays-of-gil-orlovitz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back