Barfly on DVD!!! (1 Viewer)

Well I posted a question not long ago and found the answer on amazon. Lol If you're looking for the Barfly DVD go to DVDsClassic.com, they're selling it for only $20!!!! Buying my hubby a copy for his Bday!! WhooHoo!!:D

Bootleg ? When the hell is someone going to wise up and re-issue that fucker ? Maybe it is a crap film, but I NEED TO SEE IT FOR MYSELF !

Damn - If the Oscar buzz for Rourke didn't trigger it, what will ?

I need a fucking drink. Today sucked. brb...........

#6 Horse, I hope you got to that drink, and that you had a brighter,(or dimmer, as the case may be) day today.
I agree 100%. I was really hoping that Rourke would get the Oscar, if he had, Barfly would be affordably available any day now. I hope that it does gets re-released; I've never seen it. CRB:)

if he had, Barfly would be affordably available any day now. I hope that it does gets re-released; I've never seen it. CRB:)

Seems it was dumb luck that I got my copy in a $5 bin about 2 years ago. I didn't even know who Buk was at the time, I just read the synopsis and thought it sounded a lot more interesting than the rest of the dreck in that bin. Barfly is the thing that got me into Buk.

Just looked on Amazon and asking price for new DVD is $400, lowest price for second hand is $99. Good grief!

Seems Amazon has it as video-on-demand for $2.99.

here's a copy in greece for $32 bucks, free shipping...

searching through the seller's feedback, i found 3 positive reviews for their barfly dvd, so i guess it's legit.
It's "legit" in Greece, I suppose. Meaning that they are not bound by U.S. copyright law. It's widescreen and region 1, so it is probably a good quality dupe of the real DVD.

Any region 0 version (will play anywhere) you find is a bootleg, and quality will vary greatly.

I've been trying to get conditions to sell this DVD from these Greek kids - unfortunately to NO response.

Am still hoping to be able to offer 'Barfly' one day.

It's "legit" in Greece, I suppose. Meaning that they are not bound by U.S. copyright law. It's widescreen and region 1, so it is probably a good quality dupe of the real DVD.

I think so too, because Europe is region 2, so if this is the legit Greek edition it should've been region 2!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by mjp

Nope--bought it, and it's a pretty good quality dupe of the VHS. Totally bootleg, down to custom menus, etc... pretty good for what it is really, but NOT what the eBay ad is pumping it up to be.

Also showed-up scratched and NOT "sealed" as advertised, as well--serves me right, already knowing the score on bootlegs, from years living in the '3rd World,' but thought it might be worth a shot, regardless.

Going to make sure it plays through at least, and then ask for all (or at least some) of my $$$ back, so I don't have to bring the friggen Ebay hammer down on this poor Greek homeboy...

Since you can pick one of these up at any black-market DVD stand in Patpong, Bangkok for $2, the $32.90 pricetag stings a bit, but then again, stupid Americans (me) are a bunch of suckers anyway, and will buy anything, apparently...boo-frickety-hoo.

Buyer(s) beware.

- Kendo,
TeamRokit
www.RiceRokit.com

it's a pretty good quality dupe of the VHS.

Oh? It's not a bootleg of the DVD inc. the commentator track (Barbet Schroeder talking about the movie) ?

I was lucky and found the VHS of BARFLY for a couple bucks when our local video store cleared out all their VHS in favor of DVDs. I've grown to love this movie over the years. It just feels more true to Buk than Factotum or Tales of Ordinary Madness. Mickey was great in THE WRESTLER.

That's right, Rekrab. Barfly feels more Buk-ish than the other movies, and so it should since Buk wrote the script! Having said that, I don't think Factotum was bad. I kinda like it, but I was disappointed the first time I watched it in the cinema. I thought it was way too slow bordering on boring, but after having watched again on DVD it started to grow on me. It's certainly better than Tales Of Ordinary Madness, I think, but even that movie has some scenes that ring true to Buk such as the scene where Serking is having sex with the big lady. That scene is right out of one of the short stories. Then we have Crazy Love. I like the last two segments a lot. I think they were very well done.

I haven't seen Crazy Love. It's been on my Netflicks list for ages. They describe it as "a very long wait" or something like that. There's probably one copy that some guy won't mail back in.

Just looked on Amazon and asking price for new DVD is $400, lowest price for second hand is $99. Good grief!

Seems Amazon has it as video-on-demand for $2.99.

$400? Is this for real? I had no problem getting this uh...like 5 years ago. I had no idea it was even considered rare. I'll sell you mine for $399.

Well, there's one new copy currently listed on Amazon for $642!!! and 3 other new copies for $244. Used copies are priced at $79 to $125.

There are 5 new copies currently listed on eBay Australia listed for AU$21.95 plus shipping. Says the seller: "New - Original Australian Retail Versions. These Are Not Cheap Asian Copies"

Weird. I'm looking at my copy right now and it's in perfect condition. Is there something special I should be looking for to determine its worth?

I ripped this DVD and put it on my iPhone so I can show people the opening scene with the Craby Joe's sign. If you meet me, it usually goes like this:

"Hi, my name is Jeremy."
"Hi, my name is Chester Mcgee."
"Would you like to see the Craby Joe's sign in the beginning of Barfly?"
"Fuck off, you're scaring me."

or something like that...

Barfly and about half of the Bukowski Tapes? Too bad they did'nt include all of it, but it's a good idea so people who buy Barfly also can have a look at Bukowski...

A place called JB Hifi here in Melbourne, Australia :)

Snap! I got mine at JB HiFi in Sydney about 2 years ago but in a "dump" bin for $5.

I didn't know who Buk was but I liked the story synopsis so I bought the DVD amongst a bunch of other cheapies. Turned out Barfly was the only good pick.

I bought a DVD copy, PAL version, at Amoeba Records in SF today. It was 13$ and there are about 5 more copies sitting on the self.
Even though it's PAL I can still watch it on my Computer.

:) Barfly will be released in Norway on Desember 09, according to this website.
Doesn't mention any extras though. Hope Schroeder's commentary track is on it.

The image on the cover on the Norwegian site is the same image I have on the copy of the Barfly DVD I bought on Amazon a couple of months ago and that did'nt have the commentary track, only a few still photo's from the movie, so I suspect it's the same version as the Norwegian one - unfortunately.

I now have the 2-DVD-disc-set of Barfly in the bukshop.

Language is English and German, but this one also doesn't come with a commentary-track. What Fuck!

Also, they screwed up the 2nd DVD, which contains about a 3rd of the Bukowski-Tapes:

though they were intelligent enough to leave the annoying music inbetween (sometimes), they just muted the sound, which means, the sequences start with a few seconds of total silence, where you only see the picture, which - of course - looks like an error, especially to people, who don't know about the original music-track. WTF?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back