Best line ever! (1 Viewer)

Who wrote: I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. ???

Or this: The play was a great success, but the audience was a disaster.

Or: We die only once, and for such a long time.

Or: Love earth - or leave it!

Or: Sometimes a man must get drunk to spend some time with his fools.

Those'r some of my favorite quotes... I want to list a bunch more, but you first... favorite quotes, lines, anything... then maybe we can crown a winner... best line ever.

Hey, Jack, what a fabulous post! I'd be glad to supply some quotations that I enjoy:

- The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

- Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast.

- Morality, like art, means drawing a line someplace.

- Whenever people agree with me I feel I must be wrong.

- I've never read a review of my work that I couldn't have written better myself.

- Most of my best books haven't been published. In fact, they haven't been written yet.

- Government: If you refuse to pay unjust taxes, your property will be confiscated. If you attempt to defend your property, you will be arrested. If you resist arrest, you will be clubbed. If you defend yourself against clubbing, you will be shot dead. These procedures are known as the Rule of Law.

- How to Overthrow the System: brew your own beer; kick in your Tee Vee; kill your own beef; build your own cabin and piss off the front porch whenever you bloody well feel like it.

- Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

- I am a drinker with writing problems.

Anyway, just a few. And, I hate to break it to you, Jack, but you got one a bit wrong. The Hemingway quote is "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend some time with his fools." You were close, though.

Thanks for pointing that out, Jack! And nice work. I like the quotes. Right up my alley. Take her easy!

- Jack

Um, errr... can never have too many good quotes and lines; besides, I didn't read too many good ones there...

Jack Tilt said:
Um, errr... can never have too many good quotes and lines; besides, I didn't read too many good ones there...

I second that, Jack! Nice work.

- Jack

Is Bukowski's best line ever an old topic as well? Or maybe his 10 best lines ever. Good reason to re read and keep the tube off...

Don't have a "tube." So are you suggesting that we dig through hundreds of threads to make sure that we aren't posting something that might have been partially done before? Gee... anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back