Beverly Hills 90210 and Buk - trivial but true? (2 Viewers)

A friend of mine told me the other day that he first got wind of Bukowski while watching (he thinks) BH 90210. I come to find out that this sit-com is about a bunch of super rich college types. In one episode, my firend says, there's this loner guy who tries to get in some girl's knickers by reciting her a Buk poem.
Any one?

I don't think you'll find many people in the forum who watches Beverly Hills...:D
Interesting though, that Buk was mentioned in an episode...

Last edited by a moderator:
Good sign of what? - That your memory still works? Or that you are able to forget such shows as Beverly Hills?...:D

I have to confess that friend of mine was me. Alright, I had time on my hands staying in a drab Japanese hotel.:) I seem to remember the guy was holding Betting on the Muse (from the colour) but don't remember which poem he read, if he read one, or how he waxed. I had other things on my mind.
Anybody?

See the picture: Since The last night of the earth poems is THE all time favorite poetry book of Bukfan, Bukfan will leave buknet pretty soon and starts his own Beverly Hills, 90210, website-forum.
Next year we can visit Bukfan in his $2 million house in Hollywood.

That gives me another idea:
I do think I remember an episode of 'The Simpsons' connected to our hero.
- anyone?
:-))

and:
does anybody know, if there ever was any episode of 'South Park' or 'Beaves & Butthead' on/with/about Buk? I wouldn't be surprised somehow.

...and wasn't there an episode of "Star Trek" where Spock commented that Bukowski was the greatest poet of the twentieth century in the entire galaxy?

i am kidding of course

Well Barfly is one of the films that Homer and Marge go to watch while they are drunk in an episode of The Simpsons.
"Co-Dependent's Day" 2004.

simpsons.jpg

More info here:

http://www.thesimpsons.com/episode_guide/1515.htm

See the picture: Since The last night of the earth poems is THE all time favorite poetry book of Bukfan, Bukfan will leave buknet pretty soon and starts his own Beverly Hills, 90210, website-forum.
Next year we can visit Bukfan in his $2 million house in Hollywood.

Ha-ha. Yeah, The Last Night... is certainly one of my favourites. I don't have an all time favourite, but Last Night, Burning and War are perhaps my three favourites - with a couple of other titles biting their asses...
Yes, when I have made my Beverly-Buk site and become a multi-millionaire, all forum members will be invited to my Buk-fest of the century. There'll be booze and whores ad libitum...:D

Quote Roni - I do think I remember an episode of 'The Simpsons' connected to our hero.
- anyone?
:-))

Hey Roni,
one of our members of the Bukowski society (Falko) gave a lecture about the topic " Bukowski and the Comic" years ago.
There he mentioned one german editon of a Simpsons comic in which one
character read a Bukowski poem book called "the poet from the gutter" or so..
Maybe you can ask him to post the picture here?

Just saw a Simpsons episode where Moe becomes a published poet. In one scene he is asked by Tom Wolfe who he was inspired by "Jack Kerouac, Charles Bukowski?".
The poetry Moe reads could be described as somewhat Buk-like.
Sort of.
I just enjoyed the reference.
Maybe Buks readership just spiked again?

I'm looking forward to hearing the DVD commentary to hear if they discuss why they used Buk. Maybe one of the writers there is a fan.

does anybody know, if there ever was any episode of 'South Park' or 'Beaves & Butthead' on/with/about Buk? I wouldn't be surprised somehow.
Well there is a Bukowski reference in the underrated cartoon "Mission Hill" where the newly unemployed lead goes out to have a barf-movie marathon. He rented a bunch of films with famous barf scenes and a new one that sounds promising: BARFLY
I always chuckle about that one now and then...

I "remember" this episode. By accident. I'm almost ashamed to say.
Whatever, in the same episode Dylan quoted William Blake "The shortest road to wisdom is excess" or something similar.

Season 5 episode, "Sentenced to Life", and there Dylan is, at home, reading "The Last Night of the Earth" poems in full view. This is in the very beginning, while him and Andrea are having 'coffee talk'. SHE is the one who suggests he read the book, calling Bukowski, "the renegade poet of our times".
Dylan begins to read aloud. "There's a bluebird in my heart. He wants to get out, but I pour whiskey on him and inhale cigarette smoke. All the whores and bartenders and grocery clerks ... never know that he's in there."
He puts down the book and says, "Think HIS friends ever tried to put him into rehab?"
Andrea: "Well, if they didn't, maybe they should have."
Dy: "I don't know. You really think he could write that kind of stuff to get rid of all his demons?"
A: "Who knows?" (both sip coffee)
Dy: "William Blake. ... Blake says the road to excess leads right to the gates of the Palace of Wisdom."
And a knock at the door ends their conversation there.

And:

There's an episode in the beginning of Season 7 (7.07, 184) where Mark Reese, a new supporting character, presents Kelly with two books meant to represent his 'two different sides'. In his attempt to woo her, he proclaims that he's both a "straight shooter" and a "mad man". "Spoon River Anthology", by Edgar Lee Masters, is meant to illustrate the former, while Charles Bukowski's "Betting On The Muse" suggests the latter. Kelly is immediately taken aback and remarks that she "used to date someone who loves Bukowski". "Brandon?", Mark asks. "No, someone else. But Brandon IS a Masters fan".

And someone said:

on the forums over at bukowski.net, there's been some debate over the mythology of the McKay-Bukowski connection since March. At the time, I didn't have the heart/motivation to sign-up simply to tell them, but I do hope they find this post someday :)
[Link is no longer active. -ed.]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back